New SSD and CCC.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikeSantor, Dec 13, 2012.

1. MikeSantor macrumors regular

So I know Im being paranoid but im going to ask this dumb question anyways...

So this weekend Im installing a SSD into my late 2011 MBP. The last time I did this was with my 2009 MBP in 2009. If I remember correctly, I just simply put the intel SSD in an enclosure, Used CCC to clone my HDD then swapped in the SSD. Since I have not done this in 3 years I decided to do a little reading. It seems like I am reading a lot of people saying you should do a fresh install on the SSD. I have a LOT of music production software all installed and running good. Is there a problem with using the same method that I believe I used before of using CCC to clone my regular HDD onto the new SSD? Is there some kind of advantage to running a fresh install on the SSD?

Thanks in advance!

2. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

I've used CCC for my SSD and everything was the same for me. I just needed to input some products license keys again. Oh and don't forget to clone your recovery partition :) (CCC asks you to do this before you start the process I believe)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Here's a simple approach:
    1. Buy an external enclosure and put your old drive in it.
    2. Install your new drive in your Mac.
    3. Boot from your old (external) drive by holding the Option key on startup.
    4. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old (external) drive to the new (internal) drive.
    5. Boot from the new internal drive.
    6. Your now running on your new internal drive and your old drive is now an external drive, useful for backups or additional storage.

4. MikeSantor thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome, thanks guys. I have several enclosures from OWC, So that is what I will do. SSD, 16gb RAM and some new Arctic silver 5 on the CPU and GPU and I will be ready to rock! Thanks again!