New SSD and Internet Recovery?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Freddy1765, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Freddy1765 macrumors member

I bought a 2011 MBP a week ago, and now I want to buy and install an SSD.
    I've got my eyes on the Samsung 470, since it's apparently been well received by Mac users?
    Anyway, I read about the Internet Recovery tool, and I just wanted to make sure I understand correctly!

If I plug the SSD in and turn on the computer, it'll realize there's no OS installed and automatically direct me to the Internet Recovery feature? Just like that?

I don't want to back up my current HDD and just clone the drives, because i tempered with some files i shouldn't have, and I'd really just feel more comfortable with a clean install..

2. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

if you've got latest firmware on your mac book pro I think so, as it adds support for the feature (was initially only on the new Mac Minis and Macbook Airs).

Personally Id hedge my bets and download the USB recovery tool image from Apple support and create the USB recovery stick with that before swapping the drives.

That way you won't need to go to the hassle of refitting the old drive just to create the recovery stick if for some reason internet recovery doesn't work

3. August West macrumors member

4. Freddy1765 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick replies; as it happens, I've got an external HDD with a small 4GB partition, I guess this would fit my needs perfectly.
    I'll look into it tomorrow, as it's 4am in my country, and I need to sleep!
    Thanks again!

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think the firmware based Internet Recovery is still only in the 2011 Mini and 2011 Air. You will need the USB key based version.

6. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I have a 256GB Samsung 470 in my Mac Pro and it is AMAZING!!!! It's read/write speeds are actually faster than they report and it works wonderfully! I have it split in 2 and windows 7 on one and Lion on the other. All my drives are Samsung and this one is my fav! If they weren't so expensive I would replace them all!

----------

No, when you install Lion you get a recovery partition. Regardless of how you installed it.

7. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

latest MacBook Pro firmware update (two or three weeks ago) was supposed to have added the capability

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are correct. I forgot about the EFI update adding this.