New SSD and the Mac lags

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jardins de Vin, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Jardins de Vin, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015

Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Just a few days ago I installed the Samsung Pro 850 in my Mac Pro.

It is faster for some stuff (like booting, or opening some of the applications) but I noticed that I encounter many more beach balls and lags. I am mainly using Logic. I'm still testing everything at the moment, and every time I start or quit Logic, the beach ball appears for a short while and Logic becomes slow/laggy.

I don't understand this, but it's annoying. What's wrong here? Is the SSD faulty? I hope not.
    It's only very short moments when this happens. But it shouldn't!

Edit: I noticed all apps open very quickly except Logic. I have a small project for testing, it's barely big (8 tracks or so) and it takes - in my opinion - too long to load these few plugins. The beach ball also shortly appears. All the plugins and Logic are installed on the SSD.

2. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Update: I noticed that it happens mainly with Logic. Even inside of Logic, loading plugins takes too long (and the beach ball appears). It's a Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB connected with the OWC Trail (= it is directly connected to the board, without cables or anything)

Here's my score:

[​IMG]

All hints etc. appreciated! Something is not normal.

Edit: Perhaps a Moderator could move this to the Hardware section? I think it wasn't the right place after all, or was it?

3. alex0002 macrumors 6502

In most cases or bad performance after upgrading to SSD, I would suggest SATA cables or something similar. But you appear to have eliminated that. It also seems strange that the problem appears to be restricted to Logic Pro. Your read/write speeds look fine for a SATA-II interface on the Mac Pro.

Unless you have a problem with other software when Logic isn't running, it might be just a Logic problem.

How did you migrate OS X and application software from the old drive to the new one? It almost seems as if Logic is expecting some resource to be available in a certain/location and can't find it where it expects it to be, or the permissions are wrong.

Perhaps you need to backup everything and completely uninstall and reinstall Logic software, but I guess that isn't a 5 minute job.

4. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Well, everything is freshly installed - no backups loaded.

And yes I noticed it is a Logic only issue. Actually I think it's a problem with my sound card. (my internal one, that's the one I'm using)
    Logic keeps initializing the core audio and things like that. If I turn it off, everything is quick, but obviously no sound. Weird story. :(

5. chown33 macrumors 604

Maybe you broke the sound card when you were installing the SSD. Or left a cable disconnected, or incorrectly connected.

The obvious test case is to put the original HDs back in, and see if the problem persists. If it does, it's not the SSD.

Another test case would be to use a different sound card, or sound device of any kind, including one plugged into USB. Again, change just that one thing (sound), and see if the Logic problem goes away. If it does, you know it's not the SSD.

6. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Okay, I did a clone of the drive (to an HDD) and booted from there. Problem persists! I guess it isn't the SSD then.

As for the sound card, I don't really have one yet, so I tried to connect the Mac Pro to a Panasonic Viera TV. Because it kind of acts as its own sound card. I selected the Panasonic in the audio preferences (system preferences), but the problem was still there. Can I really exclude that it isn't the in-built sound card?

7. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Today I updated Logic Pro to the latest version. (10.1.0)

Can I exclude Logic as the culprit?