New SSD arriving today - would like a fresh install

FyerFyer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2015
Hi guys

I bought a 2nd hand MBP2012 a week ago and tomorrow my new ssd is arriving

As I haven't really set too much up on this current HDD, I would like to start everything fresh with my new drive.

Im currently downloading Mojave from the Mac Store but it looks like its only the update.
Once I download and install the update on this current HDD I have installed, will the full version be available to install onto my ssd?

Finally, as I will have this spare hdd, is it worth putting it in cd drive space?
Its pretty slow, only 5400rpm I think, should I just order another ssd when I can afford to?

Thanks guys, there's so many different methods and Im honestly so confused at the moment

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I doubt that you are getting just an update for Mojave. The difference will show in the size of the download that you get. The Mojave full install will be more than 6GB. The Mojave combo updater will be (at the most) 2.51GB. So, if your download is more than 6GB, you have the full install, and you are ready to make a bootable installer, either on an external USB drive, or a USB flash drive. The Mojave installer will fit very nicely on an 8GB flash drive. Be sure to save a copy of the full installer on an external drive, so you will have it available if (and when) you need to make another bootable installer drive.
If your download is the much-smaller updater, and you don't already have Mojave installed, it won't update an older system. The updater can't update High Sierra, for example. Again, check what size file you downloaded. More than 6GB is good!

Reactions: BasicGreatGuy

casperes1996

macrumors 601
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Im currently downloading Mojave from the Mac Store but it looks like its only the update.
Once I download and install the update on this current HDD I have installed, will the full version be available to install onto my ssd?
If you're downloading it from the Mojave Page on the Mac App Store, and you're not already on Mojave downloading it from System preferences, it is the full installer for Mojave. It will pop up with an upgrade app when it is done downloading, which is for helping people upgrade existing macOS, but the full Mojave installer is there. There's a command bundled with the installer called something like "createinstallmedia" that can create bootable USB drives with the installer.

Reactions: FyerFyer

FyerFyer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2015
If you're downloading it from the Mojave Page on the Mac App Store, and you're not already on Mojave downloading it from System preferences, it is the full installer for Mojave. It will pop up with an upgrade app when it is done downloading, which is for helping people upgrade existing macOS, but the full Mojave installer is there. There's a command bundled with the installer called something like "createinstallmedia" that can create bootable USB drives with the installer.
Out of interest, is it possible to install Mojave onto my new drive by putting it in an external case, then plugging it in via usb and dragging and dropping it onto the ssd?

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
No, not with "Drag and drop".
That would just copy the installer app to your external.
You need to "Boot" to that installer, which means that you need to go through some process to create the bootable installer yourself.

Best steps here: Download the Mojave installer app (you probably have this now)
Make a bootable macOS installer from that app. Apple has a method to do that, or, even easier, download the DiskMakerX app, which makes this simple, and nearly fool-proof.
Whatever you choose, you will first need a partition or external drive (flash drives work really well. 8 GB are getting harder to find, but 16 GB is a very usable size, too! )
Reboot to that new bootable installer (that you just created!), and install from that to your SSD while it is installed in your external case.
When that install is complete, you will get to a screen where you can restore your own files and apps from a backup.
You can then choose your old internal drive (if it is still installed, or from an external case if you have moved it out of your MBPro already), and you can choose that to restore your files. Or, if you have nothing to restore (you said it was a new-for-you, and not really set up yet), then just continue through with a new-user setup. When that is all done, then swap the SSD to the internal slot, and you should be good-to-go :cool: ...

Reactions: FyerFyer

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
You'll really enjoy the performance boost you get from an SSD.

BUT...
I would suggest that you "prep and test" the new SSD -BEFORE- you install it.

That way -- if something goes wrong -- YOU STILL HAVE A WORKING MAC and can resolve problems more easily.

Here's what you need (cheap dongle):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011M8YACM/ref=nosim/macintouchcom-20?&tag=macintouchcom-20

Do this:
- Connect SSD to dongle
- Connect dongle to MBP
- Use Disk Utility to erase (format) it to Mac OS extended with journaling enabled.
- Close DU and open the OS installer.
- "Aim" the Installer at the SSD and "let 'er go" (it will automatically be converted to APFS).
- When done, you can begin the setup while still connected to the dongle, and "migrate over" whatever you wish.

When this is done, TEST the new install this way:
- Power down, all the way off
- Press the power button and IMMEDIATELY hold down the option key, and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN until the startup manager appears
- Select the external SSD with the pointer and hit return.

Do you get "a good boot"?
Look around... does everything look as you like it?

If so, NOW it's time to power down and "do the drive swap".
Once you have the old drive "in hand", you can use it with the dongle as a backup, extra storage -- whatever you wish.

Good luck!

FyerFyer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2015
Thanks guys, some really cool info and thanks for simplifying it as this is a first time installing both soft and hardware on an MBP

So if Im correct, Fishrrman's method doesn't require making a bootable usb?
I can run the installer from my current desktop...

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
"So if Im correct, Fishrrman's method doesn't require making a bootable usb?"

Hmmm... hadn't thought of that.
Give it a try first.
Remember to "aim" the installer at the externally-connected SSD...

FyerFyer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2015
Mmm ok

I am currently plugging in the ssd now and will do the formatting.
Then I will open the Mojave installer and select the ssd as the destination, even though I am running all this from my desktop

Hope it works

One quick question, should I choose GUID partition map?

Last edited:

FyerFyer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2015
Everything seems ok so now for the hardware installation

FyerFyer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2015
Blimey it worked!

Wow it’s so much faster on login, cant wait to test run.

Thanks guys!

One quick thing, I might be imagining but the screen doesn’t seem as sharp, perhaps have to change a setting somewhere