New SSD Best way to Clone

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harleymhs, Sep 12, 2014.

1. harleymhs macrumors 6502

Hey Guys, I just ordered a Transcend JetDrive 720 for my 13" MBPr ... Whats the best way to get my old SSD copied to the new SSD? I do have a registered copy of Super Duper... Thanks!!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

If you want to create a recovery partition on the new SSD, be aware that SuperDuper can't do this.

But CarbonCopyCloner -can-.

Even though you're registered with SuperDuper, you can still download CCC -for free-, and still use it to set up and clone over both the recovery partition and your regular partition. It's free to use for the first 30 days.

So -- use CCC to get the drive set up and running, and then revert back to SD for your regular (incremental) backups...

3. harleymhs thread starter macrumors 6502

So whats the best way to do this, DL CCC then clone my drive to the new SSD and swap the drives and im DONE? So CCC copys the recovery drive on the OEM drove and SD doesnt when it clones?

4. davidlv macrumors 65816

Of course you have to use Disk Utility first to make a partition on the new SSD. Then, when you start up CCC, you select the source disk on the left and the target disk on the right. CCC should detect that there is no recovery partition on that target disk, and pop up a Disk Center window (part of CCC, Window menu) where you can specify the new SSD as the target disk for cloning the Recovery Partition. After that is finished, you just go back and use CCC to clone the old SSD to the new one. :cool:

5. harleymhs thread starter macrumors 6502

Should I CCC to a ext hard drive or copy it to the NEW SSD hard drive before I put it in? In other words make a CCC now then do a restore from an EXT DRIVE or wait till the new SSD arrives monday then do a CCC to the new SSD then install it? Thanks for all your help guys!

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I assume you got that Transcend kit with the nice USB external enclosure they include?

Just wait until the new parts arrive then install the blank new drive in your MacBook and put the old drive in the enclosure. Now option key boot to the external enclosure (with your old drive in it), then follow this video to format the new drive and use Disk Utility to clone the old drive to the new.

Once that is done shutdown and disconnect the old drive in the enclosure and boot to the new drive. Then go to System Prefs and select the new drive as the boot drive.

No need to install any utilities to do the clone as Disk Util does the job and will also copy over the hidden recovery partition. Don't user SuperDuper since it does not copy the recovery partition.

7. harleymhs thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes got the transcend jet drive 720 thank you!!!