New SSD Clean Mavericks Install Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xsasha92x, Jan 8, 2014.

1. xsasha92x macrumors newbie

xsasha92x

So I have an early 2011 15" MBP 2.3 Ghz i7 with 6750m, and 8 gb of ram. My Mac partition became corrupt and is no longer bootable so I can only boot into Windows Bootcamp. I just ordered a Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB ssd and I was wondering how I should go about performing a clean install of Mavericks onto the new SSD.

2. Reimer macrumors regular

Reimer

After installing the SSD, just use Internet Recovery
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

It'll allow you to sign onto your wifi network, sign in with your Apple ID, download OSX over the internet, and install onto your new drive.

3. Jaben3421 macrumors regular

I don't think an unformatted drive will be partitioned to contain the recovery mode, because all the recovery mode is is a partition on the HD made when installing the OS that's not regularly visible. He'll have to get a install disk/USB stick for Mavericks.

4. xsasha92x thread starter macrumors newbie

xsasha92x

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for. I had heard about it before but couldn't remember how.

5. Reimer macrumors regular

Reimer

With Internet Recovery, the drive can be completely brand new and Macs released after 2010 have this ability to boot into a recovery mode that's not just a partition on the drive.

It works very well.