Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xsasha92x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Massachusetts, US
So I have an early 2011 15" MBP 2.3 Ghz i7 with 6750m, and 8 gb of ram. My Mac partition became corrupt and is no longer bootable so I can only boot into Windows Bootcamp. I just ordered a Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB ssd and I was wondering how I should go about performing a clean install of Mavericks onto the new SSD.

Jaben3421

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2011
CA
After installing the SSD, just use Internet Recovery
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

It'll allow you to sign onto your wifi network, sign in with your Apple ID, download OSX over the internet, and install onto your new drive.

I don't think an unformatted drive will be partitioned to contain the recovery mode, because all the recovery mode is is a partition on the HD made when installing the OS that's not regularly visible. He'll have to get a install disk/USB stick for Mavericks.

Reimer

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
I don't think an unformatted drive will be partitioned to contain the recovery mode, because all the recovery mode is is a partition on the HD made when installing the OS that's not regularly visible. He'll have to get a install disk/USB stick for Mavericks.

With Internet Recovery, the drive can be completely brand new and Macs released after 2010 have this ability to boot into a recovery mode that's not just a partition on the drive.

It works very well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.