New SSD - Clone or fresh install OS then Migrate

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by WardH, Dec 11, 2015.

1. WardH macrumors newbie

I've been looking for answer to this question for a while but decided to ask the experts.
    I am putting a Transcend Jetdrive into my early 2013 rMBP 15". I've already cloned the original drive to an external SSD drive which is bootable. The rMBP came with Mavericks and I upgraded to Yosemeti last winter. I do have VMware to run Win 7 and some MS software in there.

I believe my options are:
    1. Do a clone to the new drive and install (easiest)
    2. Do a fresh OS install, then migrate my data and settings (should be easy)
    3. Do a fresh install, then reinstall everything new. (More difficult)

The only issue l currently have is Safari runs very slow at times. Lots of beach balls. I have real good download speeds and realize there are some other things to try for that.

Considering my rMBP isn't that old, 2 1/2 years old, and has had only one OS upgrade would I really benefit from option 3 or even 2?
    Would this be a good time to upgrade to El Capitan?
    I don't mind reinstalling most apps but my hesitation in doing option 3 is losing and redoing all the email accounts and VMWare/win 7 software. Is this option really worth it?

Regards,
    Ward

2. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

If you are absolutely certain that only problem is Safari and all software is compatible option 1 should work without problems.

Option 2 or 3 are most beneficial if OS X has been updated several times already, you have serious problems with current installation or if most of the software is incompatible.

As for upgrading to El Capitan 10.11.2 was released only a few days ago so you might want to wait some time for other peoples experiences. I haven't yet tested 10.11.2 enough to form a opinion about it, but previous versions had too many bugs.

3. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Not sure if it applies or works for your wishes but this is what I did when I put a new SSD in my MBP.

Cleaned up existing HD as best as I could.
    Made sure Time Machine did an up to date backup on the external drive.
    Removed old HD (and set aside just in case).
    Installed new empty SSD (right out of the box).
    Made sure Time Machine drive was plugged in.
    Made sure Internet (WIFI) was on and working.
    Restarted MBP holding down command R (internet recovery mode).
    This boots the MBP using a copy of OSX from the internet.
    You will then be able to format the SSD.
    And recover your HD from Time Machine.

This was very time intensive (6 hrs or so for me) but very easy. My MBP ended up exactly as it was before and I haven't had an issue since (exactly, except it is considerably snappier with the SSD!).