New SSD Disk.. Clone old disk or fresh install?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brandaopj, Mar 13, 2011.

1. brandaopj macrumors member

Hi:

I´m waiting my new ssd disk.
    Do you recomend fresh install or i can clone my old disk?

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I did a fresh install but only because the new SSD gave me an excuse to clean house. Depending on size this'll let you get rid of all traces of apps you won't use.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my old disk and it worked perfectly. If you are not having any trouble with your current install on the HDD, there is not reason to have to reinstall everything.

4. Tamasi macrumors member

Related question;
    If you don't want to put any operting system on the SSD, but just want to add the new SSD (in the optibay) as additional storage space; how does one do that? If you just put the SSD in the optibay will MacBook Pro automatically recognize the disk correctly and will you be able to save files there etc? Or do you have to do some 'formatting'? (and if so; how/what?)

Any experiences? Insights here are really appreciated!

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You will need to partition and format the new disk to Mac OS Extended format using the Disk Utility app.

Here is a step by step.

6. Tonepoet macrumors regular

I hear for solid state drives, you're supposed to keep Journaling off to reduce the frequency of writes, so a fresh install might be preferable to cloning the old file system. Then again I also hear that SSDs should last longer than conventional HDDs any which way you slice the cake, so that might merely be paranoia for lack of a better term.

I think Journaling is supposed to help with drive recovery or something of the sort. I'm not really sure. Does it have any impact on the performance aside from reducing the write cycles?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Journaling is to prevent data loss if their is a power outage and it does add a small amount of write activity to the disk, but not enough to impact the life of the SSD.

8. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

If you don't mind me asking, why in the world did you get a ssd for data storage?

9. b_scott macrumors 6502a

b_scott

10. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

11. b_scott macrumors 6502a

b_scott

why?

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Go for the fresh install.

Video guys, as an example, can use the speed as both storage and a scratch disk for high res/multi track compositions.

Still, even if one is using it for lo bandwidth applications such as an iTunes library or pictures of the cat, you can still benefit from enhanced reliability .

As mentioned earlier; a good opportunity to clean house and make sure you get to experience the best from the newess of the SSD. would also allow one to weed out rouge apps that may unknowingly hinder the current experience.

13. b_scott macrumors 6502a

b_scott

yeah, but I did that before I even ordered the drive. Cleaned house. :) Works blazingly just with Carbon Copy Cloner, and not reinstalling 50 apps.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This is really unnecessary with OS X.

15. ozred macrumors 6502

I've done ten now over the last few years. The one significant reason to take the time to do a clean install is the fact that SSD's are extremely hard to erase. I'd give you some links but I'm on my iP4 at the moment. Use Google, the articles are eye openers.

I'm not sure that many are aware of this characteristic of SSD architecture.

16. b_scott macrumors 6502a

b_scott

what do you mean? I formatted my SSD a couple times in seconds. I don't need to do a zero/one wipe.

17. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

never unnecessary.

Widgets get installed and are forgotten.

Old files in the /library from app devs who don't follow play nicely when uninstalling.

etc.

18. RedDiamond macrumors newbie

If your new SSD is for a new computer - don't clone. Use Migration Assistant.

19. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If it makes you feel better to reinstall, then have at it. But those files you refer to that get left behind after app deletion are small and just sit there having no impact on system performance.

20. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Exactly this. Just partition the SSD, clone and off ya go.

21. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Except when going from a low $/gb to a very high (in many cases) $/gb then depending on your definition of "small" it can make a difference.

Anyway, I'm not in teh mood to argue. Recreating a new OS install every release is what some people do. others would roll up from 10.0 if they could.

It's all good .

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Benefit comes from using SSD for boot and apps.

Not for storage unless you do HD videos.

23. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Hello - slight variation on the question.

I have a new MBP with the 320GB 5400 drive.

If I bought an SSD, how would I copy the contents from the current drive to the new drive?

Would I use some app to create a mirror on some 3rd external drive via USB, install the SSD and fresh install Mac OS 10.6.6 and then restore the mirror back up?

I have been working hard, installing apps, using MS Office, etc., and since it is a relatively new MBP, I think a fresh install is not necessary.

Thanks for any advice you folks can offer.

Best Regards,
    R

24. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You will need to put the old drive in an external USB enclosure then use Carbon Copy Cloner to move the OS and your data over. No need to reinstall.