New SSD does not show

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chillieviktor, Jul 20, 2009.

1. chillieviktor macrumors newbie

I have a Samsung Sata2 64GB f/w vam05d1q mmcre64g5mpp Solid State Drive and when i try to do a fresh install inst. It can not be found no drive is showing up.

Did I mention i am new to apple. So i hope this is not the standard i can expect from my MacBook Pro (model MacBookPro5.4)

Rom: MBP53.00AC.B03
    SMC: 1.49f2

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Once you are at the installation menu. If you go to utilities and then "Disk Utility", does the SSD show up on the left? If so, go to Erase and then choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and format the hard drive to see if that helps.

3. chillieviktor thread starter macrumors newbie

Does not show in disk utility

Is nowhere to be found the only drive is the DVD-drive

4. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

I have seen and heard of this problem with the June (and after) mbp's.

The problem is in the EFI firmware update which changes the sata1.5 to 3.0gb/s interface. It also has a "habit" of ensuring that any aftermarket ssd's you purchase, that are NOT installed on order, will not work.

Did you install the EFI firmware update? If you did then there is not much you can do. It can be remedied via a hardware problem but you REALLY don't want to go down that route, trust me.

5. chillieviktor thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is updated to 1.7 EFI

Thanks. If this is what you can expect from apple i am sorry to say. That this is going to be a short marrige. This is not an option to work with this kind of hardware in our company. It's to bad i liked the design an some of the mac's features. But i think we have to stay with Microsoft

6. entity macrumors regular

I was in disbelief when I read that but than I found this discussion :(.

7. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

germans "macwelt" warns to buy samsung/corsair ssd's for mac's at present time !

anyway don't buy any ssd without firmware-update possibility and also without cache ..

p.s. the only thing you could try is, if diskwarrior 4.1.1 recognize your samsung ssd ..

p.p.s. is your ssd in the macbook or in an extern case (at the moment) ?