New SSD drive in MBP - format or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robbiebnz, Jun 8, 2018.

1. robbiebnz macrumors newbie

Could anyone please confirm if you need to format a new SSD prior to using it as your main Mac OS drive or just connect it up in the MacBook and start from there?

I have an external enclosure which I can place the drive into to connect via USB but there seems to be so many mixed reports on whether which method works right. Some say its a must to format it externally via a dock or enclosure whilst others say there's no need for that and the OS disk utility will load up on first boot and then you can sort it out?

This will be a fresh install with no backup, clone or time machine to be transferred. Will I need the original OS disc or will the internet recovery check on the system validity for the latest OS to be installed the web?

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

3. robvas macrumors 68030

You can do it via USB. You will have to format the drive before you can install Mac OS on it

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It will need to be formatted, but there is no need to do it over USB before the install. Just install the drive, then start Internet recovery and from there use Disk Utility to format the drive then install the OS.