New SSD for my Macbook Pro!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tvhaugen, Feb 4, 2013.

1. tvhaugen macrumors newbie

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro that had the stock 5400RPM hard drive. Last week I installed a Samsung 840 pro 256GB SSD drive and WOW! Everything is faster, quieter, cooler, and the swap was pretty easy. My only regret is not doing this a while ago.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's the regret most people have.

Excellent choice for a SSD.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Well...

Thanks for the info?

You also know that because your 2010 Mac only has SATA II 3Gigabit that the SSD is capped and crippled to SATA II 3Gigabit specs when its capable of doing SATA III 6gigabit and is in "theory" twice as slow as it could be?

4. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

Buzzkill

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Thats because people use the logic of "Capacity:price" when they should be doing is realizing the time savings due to speed increase is well worth the price.

----------

+350? :confused: jk

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Benchmarks and "rated" speeds are irrelevant; all that matters if real world experience. I use two Samsung 840 PRO SSDs in my Mac Pro and it only has SATA II, doesn't mean I'm getting less of the experience; overall it's still faster than any older SSD specifically designed for SATA II.

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I just bought a 4000sq ft house and I am single... gotta love wasting 7 bedrooms, simply because I can afford it.

Irrelevant, hardly. Practical in day to day use.. maybe not so much.

That's like buying a Ferrari and never driving it over 40mph because the highways you drive "prohibit" you from speeding, but in reality the the car can easily twice that speed.

You're paying a premium for a new SSD only to be limited by your hardware. In that case, why not buy a cheap, generic SSD or even a Hybrid Drive?

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'll use your analogies:
    I would buy a large house so I can house my guests. So yes I only need one room, but doesn't mean I'm wasting the others! If could afford a 7 bedroom house and be able to house my friends when they visit, I wouldn't call that wasting at all. You might want to board them up in a nearby hotel, but that's loses the personal feeling of staying in a friend's home.

Or a Ferrari. Sure the speed limit is 40MPH, but to get up to speed I'll gladly make use of that power. Or at the very least, it's a piece of art worth looking at. Not everything is one-sided.

I'm buying a premium SSD not just for the pure sequential access speed. It has faster random access (which is more important) than cheaper SSDs. It uses less power, and it has better hardware. You can't just look at numbers and buy off of that.

9. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

Also have to factor in since you have so much money, you probably have 7 golddiggin "not girlfriends but girls that like to caress your money" to house. 7 bedrooms comes in handy. Can't let them all caress your money in the same room!

10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I have no money and I live in a condo lol. My ex has taken all my money in a custody battle over our child :mad:

----------

True true. Just saying, posted specs aren't irrelevant. Benchmarks may be, but posted specs are not. Its probably the reason by the SSD to begin with, not because of its reputation with reliability or quality SSD Controllers.

11. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

I hope you're kidding

12. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

128% dead serious.

13. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

As one father to another (8 year old girl), my heart goes out to you. Some of us think because things are going good with the mom and we've never seen them act all crazy, they'll never try to take our kid. When you break up with someone, you see an entirely different side of someone you never knew existed. It's scary and it might make you trust people less. Horrible situation to be in. r/mensrights on reddit is a nice little place to hang out. Hope your rmbp makes you feel less ****** about life for a bit lol

14. thor17usa macrumors newbie

15. walkie, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  16. tvhaugen thread starter macrumors newbie

I was aware of the limits my 2010 Macbook Pro would place on the actual abilities of this drive, but the price was right ($199), it is reliable, has a 5 year warranty and could be used in a new Macbook Pro to its full capacity in the future.

17. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Hey thanks, and I completely agree. This entire process all I keep saying is "who are you, are you on drugs?". My daughter is going to be 6 on Valentines day and I have told everyone involved that I will give up EVERYTHING and even start a world war fighting for my daughter.

----------

Its too early in the AM to be buzzed anyway lol.