New SSD! How to install?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cuniac, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

So I just picked up a new 1TB Samsung Evo SSD that will be coming in the mail next week at a grate price (Ill post the link below). The computer I'm installing it on is a Early 2011 17in MBP running on 10.9. My questions are:

1. I know I have to download a program called TRIM enabler for this to work right, but should I install and hit enable and then back up to my Time Machine or what is the correct what do go about this?

2. When I swapped out the HD in this computer for the first time I took it to an Apple Store to they could move the mounting Pins from the original HD to the new one. Do I need to take it to them again to move these pins or is there an easier way?

If there is anything else I should know the information is greatly appreciated.

Here is the link, it was $310 Shipped :)

2. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

You can pick up a Torx 6 screwdriver online or at any hardware store for a few bucks and move the pins yourself.

3. Cuniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

That helps quite a bit. What about the Trim Enabler ?

4. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

I haven't used Trim Enabler so I can't help you there.

5. Norbs12 macrumors regular

Norbs12

6. Cuniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. Norbs12 macrumors regular

Norbs12

Yeah you'll probably have to go with Trim enabler then.

Have you considered just running a 10.8 VM, or do you use the app all the time? You sure the incompatibility was never fixed? Just asking because I hate when a single program prevents me from updating a core piece of software.

8. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I just did the same thing on my 15" 2011 cMBP in Feb. 2015. Take your time and have the right tools. Here are some links that I found very useful (I realize you have a 17" so I also included a link to a 17" install video):

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_17_unibody_early11_hd/

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...Drive-IR+Sensor+Cable+Replacement/7514#s25972

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_15_unibody_early11_hd/

http://eshop.macsales.com/articles/how-to-transfer-your-data-from-your-old-drive-to-a-new-drive

Good luck and enjoy the performance of your new SSD!

9. Cuniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I honestly haven't look that much into it lol

10. Cuniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you know if it matters that I move everything over first then enable trim after? I think that's the only way I can do it anyway.

11. Norbs12, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015

Norbs12 macrumors regular

Norbs12

Probably doesn't matter too much but there isn't a huge short term benefit of having trim enabled. I'd move your stuff over first and once you are settled and finally booting from the new SSD, enable trim. Doing it first might result in you having to do it twice.

12. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Enabling TRIM should be the very last step. Get the SSD installed in you MBP, all software installed/migrated, and everything working to your satisfaction before Messing with TRIM Enabler.

13. Cuniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just bought an 16GB ram kit too, so this MBP will be a lot smoother when I'm done with it :)

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The Torx T6 will work as mentioned, but if you don't want to fuss with that you can easily remove those little screw nub mounts with a pair of pliers. It will scuff them up a bit, but who cares.

Like CoastalOR said, do TRIM Enabler last.

15. meson macrumors regular

The torx heads have hexagonal symmetry, so if you have a small enough allen wrench/hex key, you can remove them. The torx drivers I ordered when I ordered my upgrade drop shipped from China and arrived a couple weeks after the ram and SSD. I used an allen wrench with no issues. If it has a snug fit and you don't force things, it shouldn't strip the head. Even if it does strip at the bottom, the torx head has some flare to it, so the torx driver should still work in the future by making good contact on the rest of the head.

Also as weaselboy mentioned pliers/vice grips will get the job done as well.

A few weeks ago, I put a Crucial M500 into a 2010 17" MBP for a friend. She only had a couple GB left on her internal HDD, and it was an absolute slug, and she was considering giving up on it and getting a new iMac. After I talked to her, she got a larger SSD, and I helped her find some things to clean up, and it flies now. She couldn't have been happier. You will love that machine with the SSD, and with the 2011 model, I think you get full SATAIII speeds which is even better.