New SSD...How to move the OS?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GrantMeThePower, Aug 25, 2012.

1. GrantMeThePower macrumors regular

This is a repost from the iMac forum...I think that is mostly hardware talk and I need some software help. Thanks, guys.

Hi all-
    I've done a clean install of windows a bunch of times in the past, but this will be my first go around in OSX. Let me break down my situation-

I have a 2011 21.5" iMac. I just bought an SSD. I want to install the SSD to run the OS and apps to speed things up. I figure this is a good time to do a clean mountain lion install as this computer came with Snow Leopard and i've done the upgrade installs for both lion and ML.

I also have a Windows 7 Bootcamp install on my current HD. I have a 2TB external HD for time machine. I have all of my music and pictures on my HD right now, backed up to the time machine drive. The OS and all of my Apps (photoshop/lightroom/steam/games/etc) are all on the HD.

I have found all of the install kits and videos from OWC and iFixit for how to do the hardware part of the install, but I haven't been able to get a step by step guide for what to do once i put it all back together. As I understand it, when i boot it up, the SSD will essentially be a new hard drive (empty).

Can someone point me to, or even write up for me, a step by step process of what I need to do to get the system running as well as possible?

Thank you!!!!

2. kd5jos macrumors 6502

kd5jos

Take out the old drive. Put in the new drive. Place the old drive in an external case. Install Mountain Lion on the new drive. Run migration assistant from the new install with the old drive connected. When it's done you've migrated, got all your information, and are running as fast as possible.