New SSD in iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mugs, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Mugs macrumors regular

Hi there everyone. I have just received my new Vertex 3 120GB. I have a guide to installing this into my 27inch iMac in addition to my 1TB drive already in there (http://www.btobey.com/learn/imac-ssd-install.php that's the guide btw). Just a quick couple of questions as to when the drive goes in, what's the best way for me to start using the SSD as my main boot drive along with my applications and documents, but leave all my music and movies on the 1TB drive? Is it from restoring from a time machine backup and only selecting the system and applications when doing the restore to the SSD? And then can I make iTunes look at the other internal drive for it's library? Thank you everyone.

Andrew

2. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

My recommendation is put the Vertex3 back in the box and send it back for a refund. Then buy an Intel 320 or Crucial M4.

I had 4x Agility3 die on me within 5 months, a Vertex3 decided the past 24 hours of data changes didn't exist after reboot, and a Vertex2E suddenly lock up solid, never to recover. Less said about OCZ using customers to test their bugged firmware, the better.

Friends don't let friends use OCZ SSDs.

3. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

Hi there, thank you for your experiences with the hard drive. I am going to give it a go just in case it all goes well. Would anybody be able to give me a little clarification on my original questions? Thanks

4. leman macrumors 604

I have been using a Vertex2 in my MBP for quite some time now, never had a problem. Now, to your original question: you can move the iTunes Library like this: http://www.apple.com/itunes/inside-...our-itunes-library-to-another-hard-drive.html

Just copy the corresponding folder before changing the settings.

As to the first part of your question: personally, I would move the media stuff to the HDD because it usually uses lots of space and you don't need fast access speeds for this kind of data.

5. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that, If I do move all the media onto the HDD, how do I delete all the system stuff on it and applications? Because it will all be duplicated on the SSD.

6. leman macrumors 604

Just format it *shrug*

If you want to keep more data or don't want to format - simply delete the relevant folders and leave only those you need. Not entirely clean solution, but should work fine.

7. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to sound dumb, but I'm right in saying that If I format it then everything will be deleted off it, do I then drag the stuff I want back over for my backup on my external drive? Thanks

8. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Have all of your music on your 1 TB drive. Open iTunes, Preferences, Advanced.
    Uncheck Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to library.
    Then click File, Add to Library and point to where your music is now.
    It will populate all of your music to iTunes but it will remain on the 1TB drive.

For me when I add new music iTunes won't always see it so everyone once in a while I have to recheck Add to Library and point it back to the storage drive to populate iTunes with newer music.
    Hope it helps.

9. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

...and these drives can cost as much as $3700!

10. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I picked up a 120GB Corsair ForceGT 3 @ Frys for $189 with a $30 MIR. Done well so far, as well as the Intel X-25M 80GB in my '09 iMac, had it in for quite a while.
    Go check it out.