New SSD in Mac Book Pro, Install disk not running

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigbadabing, Sep 22, 2014.

1. bigbadabing macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I have a late 2009 MBP and got a new battery and SSD to try and give it a few more years. There is nothing wrong with the HDD in it now just wanted a bigger faster drive.

I tried to create a boot-able flash drive with Mavericks on it, but was unable to get it fully installed. I have tried multiple different flash drives and forum posts with no avail.

I finally went and picked up a Snow Leopard install disk at my local Mac store but cannot get the computer, with the SSD installed, to boot from the disk. When i hold 'option' down while booting it shows the icon 'boot from Install Disk' but after selecting it it just sits on the Apple logo w/ gray background.

Do i need to do any setup on the SSD before installing the new OS? And the computer had the most updated Maveriks on the old HDD.

Thanks for any help!

2. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

3. bigbadabing thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to make the bootable flash drive but was unable to get the install to complete. It would error out when trying to install. I tried multiple flash drives and different terminal codes to get it going w/ no luck.

4. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

A few things to try:

Restore from time machine backup?

Check SATA cable connections to new drive. (Or SATA cable failure)

Reformat SSD OSX extended journaled.

Run disk repair on SSD.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Are you able to boot the Mavericks installer to the main screen where you see Disk Utility? Did you use Disk Utility to erase the entire new SSD to Mac OS Extended?

6. bigbadabing, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

bigbadabing thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what i get when i try to create the drive.

Mes-MacBook-Pro:~ me$ sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction
    Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%...
    Error erasing disk error number (-69888, 0)
    A error occurred erasing the disk.
    Mes-MacBook-Pro:~ me$

I have completed the first steps about making a partition "untitled" but it keeps erroring out. i have tried multiple flash drives

Edit ~ Ok so i got it going, but its been on "Copying installer files to disk..."for the last 2 hours. Should it take that long?

7. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

i think so
    open installer console to see

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are doing this on Snow Leopard aren't you? That is the reason for this error message. I don't believe you can use SL to make the Mavericks installer.