Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoh65

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2014
Sorry, about my late response.

Rather than quoting everyone i'll answer it here.

Ram - I figured out one of the sticks was a cm out of the socket, and that like you stated, i didn't put it in entirely.

As for the hdd to ssd install process, i decided to just not attempt to break it untill the hdd completely dies on me, so instead i just put the ssd into my macbook pro. I spoke to my parents, and they said they would rather i wait till it's completely dead, instead of messing with it when it still works and potentially break something else in the process.

But for those that did comment and help me along the way, and even for those that came a bit late, i'm eternally grateful that you all were willing to try your best to assist me in my installation.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Sorry, about my late response.

Rather than quoting everyone i'll answer it here.

Ram - I figured out one of the sticks was a cm out of the socket, and that like you stated, i didn't put it in entirely.

As for the hdd to ssd install process, i decided to just not attempt to break it untill the hdd completely dies on me, so instead i just put the ssd into my macbook pro. I spoke to my parents, and they said they would rather i wait till it's completely dead, instead of messing with it when it still works and potentially break something else in the process.

But for those that did comment and help me along the way, and even for those that came a bit late, i'm eternally grateful that you all were willing to try your best to assist me in my installation.

Put the SSD on a external Firewire 800 enclosure (OWC sells some models from just $39). You can boot from the external drive and it will allow you to have some fun with your SSD, since ~90 MB/s at a constant rate is still way faster than a 5400rpm HDD.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I spoke to my parents, and they said they would rather i wait till it's completely dead, instead of messing with it when it still works and potentially break something else in the process.

A wise couple your parents.....seeing as how it took you four days to figure out and fix what turned out to be improperly seated RAM :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.