Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdotv23

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2014
I just installed a Crucial m550 and now trying to format and erase to the SSD but for some reason its taking really long just to Erase it in Disk Utility, is that normal?

kdotv23

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2014
So Im at the "Partitioning. Estimated time: 12 minutes" and the time just keeps going up. Looks like its half way done but not moving anymore

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I just installed a Crucial m550 and now trying to format and erase to the SSD but for some reason its taking really long just to Erase it in Disk Utility, is that normal?

Not normal at all. Watch in this video and you can see it takes well under a minute.

It could be a bad SSD or even a bad drive cable.

kdotv23

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2014
Not normal at all. Watch in this video and you can see it takes well under a minute.

It could be a bad SSD or even a bad drive cable.
how would i go about seeing if its the SATA Cable? Btw, I also put back my old hard drive and it boots up fine.

Another question for you, Which am I supposed to do, go to disk utility and go to the erase tab and erase the ssd or do i click on partitions and set it up as 1 partition and set it at GUID?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
how would i go about seeing if its the SATA Cable? Btw, I also put back my old hard drive and it boots up fine.

Another question for you, Which am I supposed to do, go to disk utility and go to the erase tab and erase the ssd or do i click on partitions and set it up as 1 partition and set it at GUID?

There is no good way to test the cable itself other than by removing it from the equation by trying the same drive in an external enclosure.

Don't worry about GUID. Unless you manually go into options and change that, it is the default. You can format either of the two ways you mentioned with the same end result. I usually tell people to use the erase tab because I think it is easier to understand what to do there.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It is possible that it is a bad cable, however usually you would experience a lot of "beachballing" even on the regular hard drive.

I have seen some of these where is works okay with a HDD then won't with an SSD and a new cable fixes it. I don't know if the fault only manifests with the SSD because of the higher data rates maybe?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I have seen some of these where is works okay with a HDD then won't with an SSD and a new cable fixes it. I don't know if the fault only manifests with the SSD because of the higher data rates maybe?

It is quite possible that it would occur like that however I would expect to see some issues when straining the cable even with the hard drive installed. I think that the OP got a lemon SSD.

kdotv23

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2014
There is no good way to test the cable itself other than by removing it from the equation by trying the same drive in an external enclosure.

Don't worry about GUID. Unless you manually go into options and change that, it is the default. You can format either of the two ways you mentioned with the same end result. I usually tell people to use the erase tab because I think it is easier to understand what to do there.

I have a SATA to usb enclosure coming in the mail today and so Ill try that out later on tonight. I also have another m550 coming in just in case the problem is with the first m550.

Are you saying that if it does format the SSD when plugged in externally, that it mean the SATA cable inside the macbook pro is probably toast even though it boots up fine with the original hard drive?

And thank you for clearing that up about if i should do the "erase" method or the "partition" with the GUID.

----------

oh and although I said that it boots up fine with the original hard drive, I do get a lot of the "beachball" so i thought that it was just the hard drive going out. Hopefully its a bad SSD and not the cable itself. More money spent :(

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I have a SATA to usb enclosure coming in the mail today and so Ill try that out later on tonight. I also have another m550 coming in just in case the problem is with the first m550.

Are you saying that if it does format the SSD when plugged in externally, that it mean the SATA cable inside the macbook pro is probably toast even though it boots up fine with the original hard drive?

And thank you for clearing that up about if i should do the "erase" method or the "partition" with the GUID.

If it formats at a faster rate then internally then I would suspect the cable. Otherwise, I would say it is safe to assume the SSD is a lemon. You did not declare what MacBook this is. Some older models needed a PRAM and SMC reset before SSDs would run at full speed.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

----------

oh and although I said that it boots up fine with the original hard drive, I do get a lot of the "beachball" so i thought that it was just the hard drive going out. Hopefully its a bad SSD and not the cable itself. More money spent :(

Yes exactly.

Saw your edit. I'd bet Altemose's paycheck now that you have a bad cable. :)

The cable is only around $10 USD or so.

kdotv23

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2014
If it formats at a faster rate then internally then I would suspect the cable. Otherwise, I would say it is safe to assume the SSD is a lemon. You did not declare what MacBook this is. Some older models needed a PRAM and SMC reset before SSDs would run at full speed.

Ill come in here tonight once i try it out.

2012 Macbook Pro 13"

When installed internally, everything seems to go until the blue bar hits half way and it just says "Partitioning. Estimated time: (goes up every minute) and looks like its just stuck.

----------

Yes exactly.

Saw your edit. I'd bet Altemose's paycheck now that you have a bad cable. :)

The cable is only around $10 USD or so.

$10?! Where would I get that? I looked on amazon and ebay and theyre all $30+ all the way through $50ish

Before I start panicking thinking i need to buy another part, First I should connect the SSD via external enclosure and try to erase and put yosemite on it correct?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
$10?! Where would I get that? I looked on amazon and ebay and theyre all $30+ all the way through $50ish

Before I start panicking thinking i need to buy another part, First I should connect the SSD via external enclosure and try to erase and put yosemite on it correct?

:eek: I have not looked in a while. You are right... I just checked iFixit and it is $34. :mad:

Yes, that would be the final test. But with the symptoms you are describing you had with the HDD, I am pretty sure you have a bad cable. Fairly common issue with these.

kdotv23

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2014
:eek: I have not looked in a while. You are right... I just checked iFixit and it is $34. :mad:

Yes, that would be the final test. But with the symptoms you are describing you had with the HDD, I am pretty sure you have a bad cable. Fairly common issue with these.

Gotcha! Ill let you know how it goes later tonight.

Thanks to you and Altemose for all the help!

kdotv23

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2014
Let me also ask...

If I am able to format the SSD when using the external enclosure, do you guys suggest I also do the clean install of yosemite while its connected through the USB or should I format, then remove the SSD and place it internally and go from there?

I dont know exactly how its done when installing yosemite while connected through USB and getting it to start up through the USB connected SSD.

Is it the same process with holding down the option key?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Let me also ask...

If I am able to format the SSD when using the external enclosure, do you guys suggest I also do the clean install of yosemite while its connected through the USB or should I format, then remove the SSD and place it internally and go from there?

I dont know exactly how its done when installing yosemite while connected through USB and getting it to start up through the USB connected SSD.

Is it the same process with holding down the option key?

Yeah... you could option key boot to the installer then point the installer to the external enclosure. But that will be dog slow installing and I suspect after you do it, it still won't work internally due to the bad cable. Won't hurt to try if you have the spare time.

kdotv23

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2014
Yeah... you could option key boot to the installer then point the installer to the external enclosure. But that will be dog slow installing and I suspect after you do it, it still won't work internally due to the bad cable. Won't hurt to try if you have the spare time.

You're right, if I do get it to format externally, theirs really no point of doing anything after until the cable is fixed.

thanks again!

kdotv23

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2014
So its definitely the cable. I formatted the SSD using data to usb. I did however try to install yosemite on the external enclosure SSD and an Installation Log popped up after awhile saying it couldn't complete. Is there something I'm doing wrong? For the time being, aren't I able to boot from the external SSD?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
So its definitely the cable. I formatted the SSD using data to usb. I did however try to install yosemite on the external enclosure SSD and an Installation Log popped up after awhile saying it couldn't complete. Is there something I'm doing wrong? For the time being, aren't I able to boot from the external SSD?

Sometimes those cables are not consistent enough for OS installation. I have one that will work fine and one that is touchy. I would think that just slapping a new SATA cable in the machine should make it golden.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.