New SSD installed, old HDD keeps spinning?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Wd999, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Wd999 macrumors newbie

Hi,

As above, all installed and noticing the speed increase on the 2011 mini.

Trouble is, the old spinner keeps spinning (I'm using SSD as start up disk) and I cant unmount it or work out why? It's not doing anything I can tell.

Any ideas guys?

TIA

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

When your hard drive is still installed, it still is available to your system -- even if you choose to not use it for anything.
    You COULD erase that hard drive, and then use it for other storage - or erase it, and leave it installed for use as a Time Machine backup
    If you are not ever going to use your spinning hard drive again, then remove it or simply disconnect it.

3. Wd999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info.
    I've saved a partition with a clone (bootable) of High Sierra and nothing else on it... a backup if anything goes wrong. Given it has nothing else on it, and I coudl feasibly use internet recovery, etc, there's little point in keeping it.

If I erase it and use it for say simple storage, will it keep spinning? If so, there's no point in erasing it. It's 1GB so plenty of storage.

4. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

You've got "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" checked in the Energy Saver Prefs?

5. Wd999 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes

I've placed the disk in the private section of Spotlight. Hopefully it will index less and case solved!

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman