New SSD -- Lion or ML?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sital, Jul 30, 2012.

  1. Sital macrumors 68000

    Sital

    Joined:
    May 31, 2012
    Location:
    New England
    #1
    I am waiting for my new Plextor M3 Pro 256GB SSD to arrive, and as I sit here twiddling my thumbs I've been going back and forth on what to do once it comes.

    I initially thought I would use CCC to clone my late 2011 MBP Lion hardrive to an external drive (as a backup) and then clean install ML. If I had no issues then I would clone the ML drive to the SSD and install the SSD in the MBP. But...with some of the issues arising with ML, I'm starting to rethink this.

    Would it make more sense to just clone my Lion drive to the SSD, install the SSD, and wait maybe until 10.8.1 to move to ML?

    I figure either way if ML didn't work out I'd have a Lion clone to fall back on, but I like to make my life less stressful whenever possible. What do you guys and gals think?
     
  2. throAU macrumors 601

    throAU

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2012
    Location:
    Perth, Western Australia
    #2
    In my experience thus far: ML 10.8.0 is better than Lion 10.7.4 in all respects.

    Any particular ML issues you are worried about?
     
  3. robvas macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #3
    Agreed. Are there any good reasons for sticking with Lion?
     
  4. Sital thread starter macrumors 68000

    Sital

    Joined:
    May 31, 2012
    Location:
    New England
    #4
    No, I just keep spending too much time in the ML thread. :)

    Yeah, I know on a forum like this you're going to predominantly hear from the people having issues, but it still gives me pause.

    ----------

    Other than I've had no issues with Lion? No. It's not a matter of whether I will move to ML, it's a question of timing.
     
  5. Sital thread starter macrumors 68000

    Sital

    Joined:
    May 31, 2012
    Location:
    New England
    #5
    Any other opinions?

    Still leaning towards going with Lion on the SSD and waiting for a .1 update to move to ML.
     
  6. kevink2 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2008
    #6
    I did the quick update to Lion last year since I believed from reports that the lower upgrade price was only for a limited time.

    And I had some problems, mainly with SMB file sharing that it took some time to resolve.

    So I think I can wait at least a month to upgrade.
     
  7. Branskins macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2008
    #7
    ML is so much smoother that ML + SSD should make it a no brainer to upgrade!
     

Share This Page