New SSD, no can't install OS X

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gsmink, Sep 28, 2011.

1. gsmink macrumors newbie

Hello all!

My Toshiba SSD broke down and I ordered a new SSD and switched them myself. Before that, I had OSX Lion installed. I don't have any backups or timemachine stuff, or boot usb's.

What I do have, is an OSX 10.6 installation DVD. When I boot from that CD it says:

' Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer.'
    with 2 buttons: 'Restore from backup' 'restart'

I can't use the recovery function and download osx lion, since I have an empty SSD. I think I need a boot USB with lion, but I don't know people with lion. What to do? Any suggestions?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you partition the drive as HFS+? New drives need to be partitioned before using Disk utility

3. gsmink thread starter macrumors newbie

4. simsaladimbamba

Does it also use GUID as partition map scheme as pointed out in the guide I linked to earlier?

Is that 10.6 DVD newer or older than the Mac you want to install Mac OS X onto?

Do you have access to another Mac to make a bootable copy of the Lion installer?
    Make An OS X Lion Boot Disc

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Try recreating the partition if its already showing up as HFS+ and as sim mentioned, make sure its of the type of GUID.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

damn! stole my line! :)

OP: what SSD is it?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

4 cups of coffee will do that too ya. Of course now my heart is racing out of chest :p

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

woah settle pettle! i've never had a cup of coffee in my life :) sleep 5hours a night. *twitches* :D

9. gsmink thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it is GUID. I don't know what to do :( try to instal win 7?? :(

I just bought a Crucial M4 128GB
    I had a toshiba 128GB which i selected as option at the mac store. 2.5 years old and, ofcourse warrenty from toshiba is only 2 years :(

10. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

You may have to pick up a Lion USB stick if you didn't create one before hand. You can always sell it on eBay afterwards.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

doesnt lion now have that new "install Lion using the internet" feature? or is that still coming in the future :/

it's times like these when i wish apple would finally implement an on-board 4GB-8GB flash ROM chip to hold the install disk.

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

You will not be able to install OS X from a SL DVD that has an older version of OS X than what the computer originally came with, so if you're using the retail SL version, it won't work. You're SOL.

You'll have to try your luck at the Apple Store to get a free Lion install(which I strongly doubt they'll do) or you'll have to suck it up and buy the expensive Lion recovery USB thumb drive.

13. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Lion does have the recover from internet feature - unfortunately it doesn't apply to new hard drives that lack the recover partition installed on it.

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

it might be cheaper for you to buy Lion for a friends machine to make the USB Flash Recovery, instead of buying one from apple for more then double the cost

maybe the apple store can help if they look up your apple id and see you have purchased it and they will let you download and make the Flash drive at the store?? just a guess but i have no clue if they allow that

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh. i see - isnt' that a bit silly though? because in situations like this, it simply wont work!

16. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wait, so if you replace your hard drive you have to buy the $69 Lion thumb drive? Not sure I'm liking this new OS distribution idea.

17. gsmink thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I managed to install OSX again and updated to Lion again. I used a friends DVD before with 1.6.3. Yesterday late, I found my own DVD with 1.6 and got to the installer.

Now everything seems to run like it should only the problem where it started with returned. When I shutdown, then turn the power on again, my mac is stuck in the white loading screen.

When I force a shutdown with the power button, boot up in Recovery HD, do a disk repair, click restart (without the power going off), it works perfectly!!

What is the problem??? Any ideas?