New SSD - Not in Disk Utility - HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by laz.amb, Sep 8, 2015.

1. laz.amb macrumors newbie

laz.amb

Hi there

This is a basic 2012 macbook pro 13". I replaced the DVD with the current HDD and installed a new SSD (Kingston V300) out of the box.

The new drive is recognised as I get an error after login that the drive is unreadable. Also, the drive shows up in the system report, but not in the Disk Utility, thus I can't format it.

I was wondering what the problem could be and how to fix it!

Any guesses?

I'm doing something with testdisk according to some blogs to rebuild the partiotion table, but i'm not sure if it helps.

Please help. :)

2. macenied, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Perform internet recovery and go from there. Use a SSD / SuperDrive ( DVD ) configuration for this to avoid any issues. This must work.

When done, change the DVD to HDU in OptiBay. This way you will see if / where there are issues.

3. laz.amb thread starter macrumors newbie

laz.amb

Great thanks, do you mean I should swap the SSD with the original HDD (currently in SuperDrive's place)? The machine boots properly from the original HDD and everything is working as before.

Also I tried internet recovery last night, I started it and went to sleep. In the morning there was an error? Probably it got timed out, right? Should I just try again?

:)

4. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

No. Likely the OptiBay will only support SATA II, so plug the SSD in where the HDU has been to get full performance. Use the SSD / DVD config for internet recovery and see if it works.

5. laz.amb thread starter macrumors newbie

laz.amb

Thanks I started internet recovery. The OptiBay does support it as I'm able to boot from the HDD. I'll move things around if this doesn't work, just want to avoid the hassle. :)

Thanks for your help!