New SSD on Ma Mni 2011

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by GreenApple29, May 24, 2012.

1. GreenApple29 macrumors regular

GreenApple29

Hello to all
    I bought myself a new mac mini i7 and a OCZ 120gb vertex 3
    Yesterday I had to install lion on the new SSD
    Everything went good
    I had seen a few videos regardings benchmarks of that mini with that SSD showing 400 and more mbs per second
    I installed black magic disk and run the test myself
    The results weren't the same
    I got around 80!!!
    Inside mac mini there was the original 500 gb drive and I inserted the SSD
    Why I got that kind of results?
    Do you think that maybe the position of the drive matters? I mean either in the upper slot or the bottom??
    Thanks in advance:)

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

The position of the drive shouldn't matter but maybe you accidentally tested the 500GB drive.

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

The position of the drive will not matter. Sandforce drives (unless it has Toggle Nand which the Vertex 3 does not use) do poorly in Black Magic because Black Magic relies heavily on incompressible data which is not Sandforce based drives strength.

Here's a benchmark showing this:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sata-6gbps-performance-sata-3gbps,3110-6.html

Further, the 120GB drives generally have half the memory chips of their 240GB counterparts so the drive will benchmark slower.

Not all SSD's are created equal even size of drive makes a difference.

If you want the fastest, you want a 240GB Sandforce with Toggle Nand (i.e. Vertex 3 Max IOPS, Mushkin Chronos Deluxe, Kingston HyperX, etc.).

4. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

Or the new Sandisk Extreme which also has Sandforce 2281 and Toshiba 24nm toggle NAND, but at very competitive prices. I just bought 2 x 240GB drives for £300, which here in the UK is pretty cheap, when you consider the OCZ 240GB Max IOPS drives are around £300 each!

5. GreenApple29 thread starter macrumors regular

GreenApple29

Guys that was correct by mystake I installed the operationg system on the 500 drive and the test was for that and not for the SSD
    the problem is that I am unable to install the OS on the SSD getting messages like
    Can't create recovery system etc
    Quite annoyed here
    Plus I had erased the original disc and downloaded lion from mac app OS Mac mini specific for 2011 models?