New SSD on macbook pro. Confused by the apple store guidance.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mikestern, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Mikestern macrumors newbie

I own early 2008 macbook pro A1260. And I travel so much. I thought it is time to update my 200gb default hd to Solid State Drive.

First of all I would be very happy to know your recommendations of SSD on the page: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&N=100008120 600038487&IsNodeId=1&name=256GB

I read comments from people like me but who went through the process and not happy with the results. It's an older machine and seems like not every ssd will do the job in the right way.

Second:
    According to the Ifixit.com instructions I am supposed to use superduper! Yet I was at the apple store yesterday and was advised to use time machine on my snow leopard to store/clone my hard disk.

I have 200gb hard disk on my computer with a bunch of applications that I don't want to lose. Can timemachine help when I transfer everything to a new ssd after the operating system install?

Thank you for the time you will spend reading this.

M

2. Brettla macrumors regular

The reason Apple tells you to use Time Machine is because it's part of the OS, they will always tell you to use their software over a 3rd party product, but the clone will be easier because you won't have to install the OS to the new drive, you can just clone the old drive to the new one.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Time Machine can be used to backup your drive, but it doesn't make a bootable copy, as SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner would.

4. Mikestern thread starter macrumors newbie

I see.
    But if I install the new SSD then install the snow leopard on it , it will be ok to use the timemachine to place my files then. Without superduper, Correct?

5. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Correct. After you install Snow Leopard, you can do a restore from Time Machine / Time Capsule and get all your files and settings back.