New SSD, Slow boot

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Daniel97, May 12, 2016.

1. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

I took my 2014 2,6 Mini to a local repair shop today to have them fit a new 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD.

They have returned it tonight but the machine takes over 30 seconds to boot.

My 2012 2.5 mini had an older 64gb SSD and that booted in about 13 seconds.

This new SSD when turning on sits on a black screen for 20 seconds before finally displaying apple logo and then taking 10 further seconds to load the main screen.

Do i have an issue?

Why is it sat on a black screen pre apple logo?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Try reset PRAM (hold CMD, Alt, P, R on startup until you hear the Apple boot chime 3 times. Then let go).

any better?

3. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

A stretch maybe, but go into System Preferences - Startup Disk and make sure the SSD is the selected startup drive.
    That black screen-delay might be the system looking for a compatible startup drive.

4. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unbelievable.

Checked to see if start up disc was selected. Nope! Given it was an apple authorised repair shop that's a bit slack. When I asked why they said it should have done it automatically! Didn't expect it to be that simple given where I took it for fitment.

Grrr

Oh well easy fix.

He also told me he never turned TRIM on. Worthwile to do that or shall I leave it off?
    --- Post Merged, May 13, 2016 ---
    Oh and ive done a PRAM reset just in case anyway!

5. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

No reason not to. It really only has upsides.

6. wayoutwest5505 macrumors newbie

wayoutwest5505

Put OWC SSD 1 TB in Macbook Pro 17" = Having lots of problems getting back up to speed. Using Super Duper.
    --- Post Merged, May 14, 2016 ---
    Put OWC SSD 1 TB in Macbook Pro 17" = Having lots of problems getting back up to speed. Using Super Duper. Backed up first and then west back to old Yosemite system. Seemed to Calm the Mac down.Trouble connecting to Wireless with El Capitan.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Enable trim and ignore the store