New SSD -- Time Machine vs. CCC, Trim?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reg88, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Reg88 macrumors regular

1. When installing a new SSD and you reboot, can you just plugin the external time machine drive via USB, hold option, and then restore? Or will you need to format the SSD prior to letting time machine do its thing?

2. Or is CCC a better option than a time machine restore?

3. Do I need to install/mess with Trim, or will 10.8.3 handle it for me?

Thanks as always!

2. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Personally I prefer CCC instead of TM. If you don't mind not having file versioning, scheduling CCC to run nightly is fast and efficient. Plus it creates a bootable backup on a USB drive.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

1. You can option key boot to your TM drive as long as the TM backup was made with 10.7.2 or later. Then you will be presented with a recovery screen. From that screen you will need to start Disk Util and format the drive as Mac OS Extended. Then quit Disk Util and click restore. The entire OS and all your data will be put back on the drive.

2. For restoring to a new drive, it makes no difference whatsoever. Since you already have a TM backup, there really is no reason not to just go with that.

3. Since you have an aftermarket drive, TRIM will not be enabled by OS X. If you want TRIM with an aftermarket drive you will need to run one of the TRIM enabler apps or manually enter the equivalent Terminal command.

5. Reg88 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you -- but do I need trim? And if I do, which application do you recommend?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No harm will come to your SSD if you do not use TRIM. It just helps keep the write performance at top speed. Most folks here use the TRIM Enabler.

7. Edie Brickell macrumors member

Time machine is considered as the best for taking incremental backup but if you delete your data from TM, you would not be able to recover it from time machine.In other case Clone is a best option to take multiple copies of your data in many backup drives for safer side. You can use good cloning software now a days like CCC Super Duper, Stellar Clone Drive which can clone your drive or imaging.