new SSHD/HDD macbook pro late 2008

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amateurist, Jul 9, 2013.

1. amateurist macrumors newbie

i've been running out of space on my mbp (320gb)
    it's quite old but it still gets the job done, in the past i've updated to 8gb ram.
    i use it for basic stuff but i'm also running bootcamp on it to be able to use 3ds max and i do some of my small renders on it.

i've been looking at getting a 1tb SSHD, but i've read some people have had issues with SSHD in combination with the Nvidia SATA controllers my mbp uses.

another option for me is to get a regular HDD, i found a cheap 750gb 7200rpm one, my current HDD is a 5400rpm one.. what will the difference be? more noise but faster? or is it better to get a 1TB 5400rpm one?

what would you guys advise me to get? the speed of my current HDD is fine although faster would be nice but it's not necessary.

thanks!!

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

A 1 TB platter hard drive will be slightly slower than a smaller 7200 RPM drive. The difference is not great, less than 10 percent in most cases. If you value capacity more, get the larger drive; if you'd rather have performance, go with the faster rotational speed.

3. amateurist thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for explaining!, i found a 1tb 7200 hdd sata-600 drive, that should work as well right?