New starcraft Patch- Very cool!

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by marclapierre13, Jan 22, 2008.

1. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

I havent played starcraft in a while, since Ive been playing lots of other new games. But i was looking through mac updates, and there is a new patch: 1.15.2 for Starcraft.
    Its very cool, you can now play with out the CD! Just copy the main folder (540 MB's) to you starcraft file folder, after you have installed the 1.15.2 patch and itll work.
    Bout time. When I used to play SC back in the day hardcore, I went through about 3 CDs total.

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

3. marclapierre13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Wow, still adding features to the mac version of starcraft after all this time?

I guess they had too many people working on the mac version of starcraft II! :eek:

But seriously, effectively adding a no-cd crack to the game after all these years is nice... now if only starcraft didn't take up 60% of my CPU on my 2.33 GHZ C2D MacBookPro! (and somehow my 500MHZ G3 was able to run it better on mac os 9 :rolleyes: )

Oh well, great game i still play once in a while.

5. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

Yeah, it does that on Windows too (according to my roommate). I have no idea why; when we compstomp you can hear both of our laptops' fans cranking up to max for no apparent reason.

6. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Those guys at Blizzard must be big fans of the MacBook Air!

This is a really cool update. It reminds me why Blizzard is loved by so many people. :)
    Same for Warcraft III next please.

I read somewhere that due to the way the game was written, it will use almost all of your processor, no matter what computer you use, be it iMac G3 266 or Octo-core Mac Pro. :eek:

7. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

Boo :(. It's not like the AI is any smarter, so I don't see how it's even possible to take up more CPU time. o_O

8. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

9. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Has anyone managed to get it to work with the expansion disk yet?
    Or is it only available for the standard disk at the moment?

EDIT: Never mind, it was user error on my behalf. I was putting them in the StarCraft Folder, rather than the StarCraft Files Folder. Brood War works great!

10. cannedgoods macrumors newbie

Not working for me

But I'm sure I just doing it incorrectly, though I seem to be following all the directions.

I just did a fresh install of SC and then SCBW on my Macbook.

Then I added the BW archive to the SC folder.

Next I copied all the BW 1.15.2 patch into the SC files folder and renamed the maps folder.

Up to this point, I think I have it all straight?

Then I try to follow these steps:
    8) Select the Starcraft file in your Starcraft Files folder.
    9) Choose Make Alias from the File Menu.
    10) Move the new alias file to the Starcraft Folder.
    11) Double click the Starcraft alias to play.

Should #8 really say the "Starcraft (Carbon)" file (the application file) rather than "Starcraft file"? There isn't a plain old "Starcraft" file in the Files folder.

So I think I'm stuck at the "Alias" stage. Every time I make an alias of the SC Carbon file and 2xClick on it, all I get is the prompt to insert the CD.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

11. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

the SC folder or SC flies folder?

it goes in the SC files folder

12. tYsopz macrumors member

Its because its carbon afaik.

13. cannedgoods macrumors newbie

figured it out

Here's what I found confusing about the directions and what I figured out, which was apparent to everyone else?

The step I found most confusing was the direction selecting which patch to use:

* Which patch should I use?
    - If you have installed the StarCraft: Brood War, you only need to download and apply the patch listed under "[Expansion]".​

So, for this reason I was thinking I needed to put the archives in the same SC folder, and I did it both ways -- SC in the BW SC folder and BW archive in the SC SC folder.

I think I'm confused again, just writing this, so I'll stop with this last piece.

I wanted to play both games, so I downloaded both patches and followed the directions from there for their respective folders. They both work now!

14. acorcoran27 macrumors newbie

can somebody explain

to me how to do this, i keep on messing it up apparently and i just wanna play some starcraft!

15. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I thought you could just register your key at blizzard and have it as a digital download, thus not using a cd? or does the digital d/l still require the cd?

16. acorcoran27 macrumors newbie

17. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Just install the latest patch from Blizzard, then copy the install.exe or Starcraft Resources files (about 550MB each) from the Starcraft and broodwar CDs.

The instructions are included with the patch notes. Get the patch here.

18. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

For everyone looking to use less of the cpu when playing, go get the newest patch 1.16.1
    just go here: http://us.blizzard.com/support/arti...ategoryId=2716&parentCategoryId=&pageNumber=1

19. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

The current patch for Warcraft 3 lets you run without the disk. Just log onto Battle.net from the game and the patch will install automatically.

20. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Well thank you, it does now, but not in January 2008 when I posted that...

21. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

Nobody else had mentioned it so I just threw it in. Just goes to show you can teach an old thread new tricks.

22. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

I didn't read every post but you can go to Blizzard's store, make an account and register your CD keys with the site.

Then you can download all of the games and install and play without the CD!

This includes Warcraft 3, Starcraft and Diablo 2.

If you were travelling with your Macbook and didn't have any games installed, you could literally log into the site (if you had entered the keys already) and download any of the Blizzard titles you own and play, as long as you had internet access of course. All versions are patched up to the latest versions.

23. SebZen macrumors 6502

Yup, it's great. They have both Windows and Mac versions, of course. If you ever played WoW, it uses the same download method as the WoW patches and just downloads an installer for you.

24. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

wow so this will play well on the AIR ? the top of the line air i mean ?
    Also who still plays this ? i use to love this game back in the day and now with out the CD im thinking of putt this on my air... I just want to be sure that people are still on there playing...

25. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Starcraft plays well on a toaster. It'll play easily on your MBA. As for people playing? Thousands of them.