New Strange G5 Issue

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by G5-Sir Mac Alot, Aug 29, 2014.

1. G5-Sir Mac Alot macrumors member

Ok, My G5 will not boot all of the sudden. I start it, get the startup tone, get the white apple screen, starts the spinner and then shuts down. Yet, I can start into single user mode (says all is good, but has a weird message Error mapping module file com.apple.driver.appleintelcpupowermanagement), I can run Service Diagnostic Disk (Again all good, but strangely needed to re-calibrate thermal even though Ive not touched processors or anything. Both calibrated with no problem) and it can boot into open firmware. Yet it will not boot hard drive, my back up drive, Leopard install disc, nothing. My online researching seems to say that it is probably a power supply. I have another, but would rather not take it apart if not neccesary. Why, would a power supply cause a problem during the boot process? I thought if they went bad you would have nothing? If its bad why can I do the things that I can do? I apologize if it's a dumb question. Also, if the problem lies with the appleintelcpu thing, Why? Its PowerPc. Not Intel! Just a little confused with this and could use some clarity before I tear up my main machine. By the way, Its a 2004 G5 Dual 2.0g with 8g RAM. No problems at all until yesterday. Thanks.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Have you tried a PMU reset?

3. G5-Sir Mac Alot thread starter macrumors member

Yes, did that. Reset nvram too. Also ran fsck.

4. n0cus macrumors 6502

This might sound weird, but try removing some of the RAM sticks. This issue sound very similar to an issue YouTuber ItsMyNaturalColour had on a PowerMac G4. Try going down to one RAM stick and trying to boot. If it boots, it is likely one of you RAM sticks died.

5. G5-Sir Mac Alot thread starter macrumors member

6. JohnnyH1012 macrumors member

N0cus is right. It is extremely possible that some ram sticks went bad. This has happened to me both in my history of PowerMacs and custom built computers.

7. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Strangest thing that it should happen on a PPC. I was having kernel panics on my Intel iMac with Snow Leopard, but I followed the instructions here http://www.niresh.co/page/osx86.html/hackintosh/articles/fix-no-hpets-available-kernel-extension-in-backtrace-comappledriverappleintelcpupowermanagement to remove the offending com.apple.driver.appleintelcpupowermanagement file and all was well.
    The guidance is for hackintoshes but seemed to work for a genuine Apple machine.
    You might find you can issue the relevant commands from within safe mode without the need to boot into an installation CD.

Hope this helps,

Cheers :)

Hugh

8. G5-Sir Mac Alot thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much. I will post how it goes later on!

9. weckart macrumors 68040

That particular kext activates/regulates Intel's Speedstep function and is normally removed/disabled with hackintoshes because the mismatch between bioses/UEFIs and Apple's proprietary implemention of EFI causes wrong calls to be made to the cpu leading to kernel panics. With judicious editing of the dsdl file this can be made to work on many Intel computers.

You should not disable this on any genuine Mac computer except as a temporary troubleshooting measure as you lose Speedstep meaning the cpu runs at full pelt at all times, leading more heat and fan action and lower battery life in portables.

As this forum is about PPC machines, it won't be relevant as these Macs do not have Intel cpus to worry about.

10. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Agreed it's for Intel machines, and mostly hackintoshes, so it can't do any harm removing it, especially as it was specifically mentioned in the original post.
    Plus, the commands back up the original file just in case.

That said, it could well be down to the RAM as others have suggested.

Cheers :)

Hugh

11. G5-Sir Mac Alot thread starter macrumors member

Ok I tried replacing power supply. Power Supply tested working before install. I did everything very carefully and now i get nothing. I plug in cable, hear click and the frron t led above power button lights once. Push power button and nothing (LED lights as long as I hold button. Reset pmu button and have tried cutting back RAM and switched PRAM batteries and same thing every time. Im worried this might be the end. Any last hope?

12. n0cus macrumors 6502

Pray to the Apple Gods.