New Student, New Macbook Pro 13"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jamiek92, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Jamiek92 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Soon my Macbook Pro will arrive and then I suppose it's my job to figure out what needs to be done. I've recently searched the internet for tools and applications for my future as a university student.

I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on applications that would be good for university in general (I'm studying politics and history) and for things such as: Note-taking, research etc.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You definitely want a good word processing app so download the trial of iWork and maybe MS Office too. Don't forget OpenOffice either! It's free and fully functional, even better than those which costs

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Take a look at adium, it keeps me in contact with all my mates at Uni and at home. I even have it linked into Facebook chat.

4. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Go for MS Office or NeoOffice. But if you share a lot files with your friends (like Word documents), MS Office is maybe better even if NeoOffice is compatible there is always some differences on the layout of the documents.

5. Meltdown macrumors newbie

I'm currently doing History too.

Familiarising yourself with organisation apps might be handy. iCal and Things works well for me.

Research for your subjects don't really need their own apps (unlike medicine etc.) so any browser like Safari should be fine for accessing online libraries etc.

And of course a decent Word Processor, MS Word works well enough and is cheap for students.

6. boston44 macrumors 6502

Yeah,
    See if you can get discounted Office for Mac or just get OpenOffice.. I use Adium for aim, Office, iWork.. Like others have said, explore the computer first and then see what you want to download..