Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
We are pretty sure loads of new software by Apple will be released tomorrow. From what people have seen in the past, how long does it take the new software to hit Apple Retail Store shelves?

Applespider

macrumors G4
Seem to recall last year that the Apple Store in SF had a supply of Shuffles straight after the keynote and then they took a week or so to make it into the other stores.

iLife was available in stores from about 10 days after the Keynote and in the UK another week after that, I think.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Some stuff may be there tomorrow. Other stuff might take a week, or two, or three. IIRC, my Mac mini took about a week to ship after it was announced (I ordered it the day they were announced).

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
If the software is not for sale, is it possible that it will be installed on the Macs there? I wish to check out the new iLife and iWork if they come out tomorrow and plan to go to my nearest Apple store (45 minutes away) sometime soon. I wouldnt want to waste a semi-long trip for nothiing.

Applespider

macrumors G4
rye9 said:
I wouldnt want to waste a semi-long trip for nothiing.

Would suggest giving them a call once you know when you're going and see what they have installed and on the shelf. I don't think iLife 05 appeared on the store Macs until closer to the arrival date. You'll probably find posts on here from people reporting seeing them arriving in store.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I expect that many Apple Stores already have the sealed boxes in the back, with orders not to unseal them yet, so even store employees won't know what's to be announced. They open them, and probably update their boot images (from which each Mac is refreshed) as soon as the checked flag is waved at the keynote.

One disadvantage of Apple's secrecy: When you walk into that store right after new product announcements, ready with your questions about a new product's finer details, the store employees aren't going to be up to speed, because they found out about it just as you did.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Doctor Q said:
One disadvantage of Apple's secrecy: When you walk into that store right after new product announcements, ready with your questions about a new product's finer details, the store employees aren't going to be up to speed, because they found out about it just as you did.
Shoot, they find out about stuff AFTER we do here... because they're busy working the floor and not surfing the net like we are.

TsuaSai

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
TX
Has any heard any rumors as to weather or not the Ibook will be released with Intel chip? I have been wanting to buy one, but I am just waiting...

TsuaSai

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
TX
Yeah just killing me... Its been hard not to just go buy one... Probably wont be able to sleep :)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
clayj said:
Some stuff may be there tomorrow. Other stuff might take a week, or two, or three. IIRC, my Mac mini took about a week to ship after it was announced (I ordered it the day they were announced).

Same here. My brother ordered a Mini 3 hours or so after they were announced, and it took about 1 week to ship. Our local Apple Store had them in stock that week though (but obviously they didn't have any BTO machines).

It also depends on which product we're talking about here - stuff like iBooks and Minis are generally more available than the Pro line Macs with BTO stuff. Heck, it still takes awhile get a Quad with a 7800GT video card.

iDM

macrumors 6502a
Woah woah woah how do you guys know they are even going to release anything in the first place?

I am only kidding don't flame me I want new stuff just as much( Even though what I want is as unrealistic as those 50" displays, i want an Airport Express Video!!!)

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
yes they are

TsuaSai said:
Has any heard any rumors as to weather or not the Ibook will be released with Intel chip? I have been wanting to buy one, but I am just waiting...
i have heard plenty of them.... they are starting to hurt my head...

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
candyapple8 said:
what time will they make an announcement and what time is the keynote speech?
The keynote starts at noon EST tomorrow, I believe... and it should be done within an hour or so. So, by 1 PM EST tomorrow, we should know all of what's new.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Applespider said:
They must ship them surface to the UK... they don't always appear in Regent St for a few days or longer :(

Having said that, the new iPods arrived quickly so will keep fingers crossed.

Sadly, that's true. Well at least we can stare at the online store :)

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
2nyRiggz said:
^^well some of us who will be able to log on...expect a bog down at MR and apple.com for at least an hour.

Bless
not looking forward to that tomorrow:D

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
I am going to an Apple Store in Saturday. Ya think I'll be able to try out an Intel Mac then? I really hope so, I want to check out all the new software too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.