New Super Mario Brothers Wii

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well it's out in a months time here (UK), watched a few gameplay trailers and I'm pretty buzzed now. It didn't wow me at E3 (nothing by Nintendo did :rolleyes:) but I'm now looking for a 4 player multiplayer game that isn't made by Harmonix and costs less than £120.
    Must say I don't like the art style or the music, but it's a 2D Mario game so...

Anyone else preordered or just looking forward to it?

2. resom macrumors member

I was thinking about buying a wii since the price drop and I was thinking about buying this game if I do. Looks pretty fun.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The game isn't doing much for me but I never miss a Mario game so I'll get it. I'm not really interested in the coop aspect...I rather a single player experience.

Does anyone know if this game does online co-op?

Bless

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ that would be ideal, but I'd be surprised if it did. A sure buy, but not as stoked as I ever have been about other mario titles. Still has to be better than another re-release of an older game with wiggle added.

I'd like to see Luigi Mansion 2, a game idealy suited to the motion controller.

5. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

Sadly there is no online play. I'm still super hyped for this game though.

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

But the Koopa kids are back. So that’s awesome! I want a proper sequel to Super Mario World to be played old school with the classic controller.

7. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Because that would be too awesome to do.

8. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

So....sidescrolling 4 player jump'n'run....Little Big Mario?

Don't get me wrong, I love Mario sidescrollers (IMO they never topped Super Mario World), and this game is probably a lot of fun, but the concept just seems a bit familiar, especially since they haven't made a proper 2D Mario Bros jump'n'run in ages. :rolleyes:

9. Surely Guest

Surely

I'm stoked for it. I just got the Wii a few weeks ago, and this game looks really good. I grew up in the NES era, so I love side-scrollers.

I decided to pre-order it from Amazon to take advantage of the coupon for $10 off a future video game purchase with them.

10. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

New Super Mario Bros. for the DS received rave reviews and it’s a lot of fun (although somewhat short).

For years there, I thought the side scrolling genre was dead. But with this, Little Big Planet, Castle Crashers, the upcoming Sonic, etc. it’s starting to make a return.

11. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

My girlfriend is bugging me about this game non-stop. Looks like I will have to get it :p I had a lot of fun playing it but the art style REALLY annoys me. It just doesn't look like it should... colours are too pastel like I think... or maybe... grrr I dunno, just looks off putting.

12. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Ah, i wasn't really aware of the DS one, i guess, i don't really follow the handhelds.

I also was not aware there is a new side-scrolling sonic game in the making!?

13. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Yup. Have no idea when it’s coming out though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/6168191/Sega-announce-new-Sonic-the-Hedgehog.html

"The game will be a two-dimensional side-scrolling platformer reminiscent of the original Sonic games, with an emphasis on speed. It will be playable in high definition.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Needlemouse

14. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm hoping that Needlemouse is more like the classic Sonic and Sonic Advance than the DS versions. Really didn't like them, they needlessly changed the feel of Sonic and made it all bright and shiney so kids would buy it.

Just had confirmation that my order is most certainly placed and I'll be getting it on launch day (or before if shopto.net plays nice :D). Can't wait! The DS version was okay, nothing as memorable as the earlier titles. Hoping this one is memorable. It's pretty much the requirement for a Mario title.

15. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

I preordered this for the wife, particularly being good timing with her birthday later this month. Good multiplayer games for the two of us are hard to come by, but I think this one should be a homerun in that department.

16. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Oh my gawd!

Spoilers: The princess has been kidnapped and this time by the koopa kids with cake!...shocking!

Maybe Mario should give up on Peach and get with Daisy...they don't bother with her because shes gangster:cool:

Toads are useless..

Bless

18. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

How is that shocking? I guess that explains, though, why a certain character will not be playable in the game.

I really hope Peach is putting out for Mario. If he keeps saving her ass, he better be getting some ass. Otherwise, it's just pathetic.

19. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

20. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

I preordered this for the wife, will have to hide it till Christmas or she will play it.

21. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The reviews are in:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/newsupermariobroswii?q=New Super Mario Bros , 86

http://wii.ign.com/articles/104/1044744p1.html , 8.7

http://wii.gamespot.com/wii/action/newsupermariobroswii/review.html?tag=topslot;img;1 , 8.5

http://kotaku.com/5403839/new-super-mario-bros-wii-review-go-buy-a-wii

Anyone pre-order from Amazon? I’m wondering how this is going to work with the release date being Sunday, Nov. 15. Obviously, there is no carrier delivery that day. So am I going to get it tomorrow, Monday, Nov. 16 or Tuesday, Nov. 17?

The Sunday release date is just weird.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I've played a bit of it and it's alright. But it lacks that 'magic' element. I mean everything else is there, but just not that spark which defines classic Mario platformers.

But hey - it's mario and if you have a wii, its pretty much an essential.

23. Surely Guest

Surely

Well, I got an email last night from Amazon that it shipped. I guess I'll get it tomorrow or Wednesday.

Just in time for exams....... yay.............:rolleyes:

24. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Yeah, I get mine today even though I had to shell out $3.99 for overnight delivery on Friday. I’m disappointed in Amazon. I was hoping they would get it to us Saturday (since there is no post on Sunday).

The only reason I purchased it from them is because 1) I absolutely hate Gamestop (trying to sell me a “new” game that’s not sealed is not a good idea) and 2) I had promotional credit.

I’m off to turn on my Wii. It’s been months, so I’m sure there’s been a firmware update.

25. Surely Guest

Surely

The game wasn't released until November 15th, which was Sunday. You pre-ordered it, and it shipped when the game was allowed to be shipped. You wouldn't have been able to get it on Saturday.

I went with the free Supersaver shipping. For some reason I always get my order in the same amount of time as I would if I paid for 2 day shipping, so I don't bother paying extra.

I bought it from Amazon because their price is cheaper than in-store ($46.99 vs. $49.99) and there's no tax.