New SuperDrive and MBP firmware update says "Your computer does not need this update"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MythicFrost, Dec 8, 2009.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'm confused why it says "Your computer does not need this update"?
    It's a MBP4,1 and has some startup noises and (always has had IIRC) problems with it making noises that don't seem right.

I've checked Software Update and there is nothing there (I just ran it and updated a minute ago).
    I'm curious why it says this, is there a firmware update 1.7 that needs to be installed for the MBP?

Thanks

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

The update is only for MacBook Pro 5,1 models (Late 2008/Early 2009 15") and 17" Unibody models.

4. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I thought I had a late 2008 Model but it must have been early 2008, (model 4,1). I can understand then why the MBP firmware update says that.
    What about the SuperDrive update, every time I start the MBP up it makes noises with the super drive and resuming from sleep IIRC, as described in the article.

How do I go about fixing those?

EDIT: I've found the support doc for the SuperDrive, it has the same requirements as the MBP firmware update (I guess it doesn't apply to me).
    Strange though, I've always had issues with the SuperDrive noise (starting up, waking from sleep IIRC, inserting a DVD is really bad too, makes all kinds of crunching noises).

Thanks

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Did you think it would silent? DVDs are spun so the laser can read the data on it. And the speed is adjusted, slower or faster aka more/less noise. It's perfectly normal.

6. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

That's just how slot loading drives are.

7. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I expected it would be silent when nothing is in it, and also until the disk begins to read, the crunching noise sounds wrong and it's just as the disk is inserted, when a DVD is being read from (crunching noise has gone by now) it sounds perfectly normal.
    Ah ok, I guess that makes sense then, isn't the drive bay in my Mac Pro a slot loading drive also? or is it different? Thanks.