New SuperDrive for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pit29, Jan 20, 2010.

1. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Hi all,

I've got a late 2006 MBP, which I think I will keep for some time. The only thing that isn't fine anymore is the SuperDrive - I get this "cannot calibrate laser"-error all the time. So I'm thinking about replacing it. (I already exchanged the internal hard drive, it's second spring since then.)

Anyone done this? Is the difficulty comparable to exchanging a HD? Any recommendations for a new CD-DVD-RW (I don't need BlueRay)? I'm living in Europe and would like not to be bothered by regional codes eventually...

I appreciate any comments!
    Pit

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Guides and also parts (even though expensive, but good for finding out what you need to find at ebay or other stores) at www.ifixit.com.

3. pit29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pit29

Yeah, ifixit.com is where looked as well. I'm wondering whether I'm limited to Matshita hardware?

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

im pretty sure that you have to use Matshita. someone correct me if im wrong but because of the layout apple uses in their laptops you may be limited to using one that is built for that specific model.

5. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

iFixit is your best option IMHO. Stick with their hardware references and manuals.