New SwitchEasy Shades

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bleighv, Sep 23, 2013.

1. bleighv macrumors regular

bleighv

So, my husband has been looking for a nice lookin' green case for his iPhone 5. I was browsing a few of my favorite case websites and I seen a NEW case from SwitchEasy called "SwitchEasy Shades" (http://www.switcheasy.com/product/Shades-for-iPhone-5-and-5S) and I went ahead and ordered one for him. They've also come out with a few other new cases in case you guys are interested..

Anyways, just wondering what you guys think of the case. I'm a little on the fence about it since it's a new case w/ no reviews, pictures, etc. but SwitchEasy usually comes out w/ top notch cases. Hopefully this case is no exception! I'll let everyone know how it is once we receive it.

2. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

I saw this earlier today and think I will order 1. I am however confused by some of the pictures. It would appear it has a curve on the back and the area by the volume buttons appears to have a big gap (not sure about that). Guess I will wait and see it in person.

3. bleighv thread starter macrumors regular

bleighv

Exactly! It almost looks like the case is warped, or perhaps the phone itself is warped.. Keeping my fingers crossed though.

4. antwon412 macrumors member

5. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

That's pretty ugly.

I wish they updated the Rebel line for the 5/5s

6. bleighv thread starter macrumors regular

bleighv

I don't think it's ugly, I like the simplicity of it. I also liked their Rebel line, the flatter version for the 3GS though. I don't really like the raised spines that make it jiggle around when I place it on the table lol.

7. kthnxshwn macrumors regular

Switcheasy cases are such **** quality. It's like they use the absolute cheapest plastic and just meld it all together. I mean, I think they're ugly too, but I've had the displeasure of having to review a ton of them, and jeez. You'd think they'd eventually catch up and stop slacking around.

8. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

Well, unless something really catches my eye this might be the last SwitchEasy case I buy for a while. I am not sure what happened as SwitchEasy cases used to be good but the last few releases are really lacking in my opinion.

I took delivery of my Shades in Green this week and I am quite disappointed. I know people are going to call for pics, etc.. but I can't at this moment but I will make some available soon. Here are my impressions.

- Fingerprint magnet and BIG TIME. Fingerprints show massive on this case
    - Very plastic feel and not high quality plastic
    - Camera Ring while lined in black is built weird. If you look on the inside of the case it is not flush, it actually raises up which means your phone will sit uneven in that spot.
    - Will work with screen shields but this case has absolutely NO lay on the table design
    - Inner plastic is rough in areas, not sure if there is a scratch risk but its not soft.
    - There are gaps around the volume buttons and sleep awake (you have to see it to know what I mean)
    - Can be challenging to remove
    - Green is much darker than in some of the SwitchEasy pictures and the gold buttons are more gold than the iPhone.

Overall I am so happy I only bought 1 as when I saw this I was tempted to pick up each color (I do reviews).

I'll put this on my phone one last time to shoot a video review and take some pictures then it comes off for good.

9. Synomenon macrumors regular

Makes the 5/5S look like a 5C or iPhone 3/3G.

10. bleighv, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

bleighv thread starter macrumors regular

bleighv

My husband's came in this afternoon as well. I installed it for him on my lunch break and I TOTALLY agree with all of your points! I don't know what in the world happened to SwitchEasy. My husband has clammy hands so the instant he touched the case, his fingerprints were all over it. I couldn't even tell that it was a green coloring. I haven't looked at the case in outdoor lighting but indoors, it just looks black to me. Also, the curved back is weird, it just makes the phone bigger than it needs to be. The sides of the case are also very thick, I don't know why they're made that way.. As for the gaps between the volume and sleep awake button, it has me completely baffled. There doesn't seem to be any reason why they did this as far as I'm concerned.. I wish I would've waited for your review to be honest (I usually do but my husband was tired of his white Speck Candyshell). I can't wait to see your brutally honest review lol!

Anyways, my husband's happy because it's green so I'm not going to burst his bubble lol.. The only thing he doesn't like is the absence of a lay on the table design. I however, will not be purchasing any SwitchEasy cases in the near future either; completely disappointed.

Yeah, definitely has the 3/3G feel to it because of the weird rounded back.

OH & in my opinion, the Speck Candyshell is SLIMMER than this case.. Can you believe it? Lol...