New Switcher from high end PC : Why is Apple mail so terribly slow?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nafai23, Apr 18, 2008.

1. nafai23 macrumors regular

I just got a Mac pro and everything has gone fairly smooth( but with IMAP gmail APPLE mail is just terrible. I have double checked the settings. I have deleted the account and started over twice. It is slow to receive, read, and send messages.

Any help?

2. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

I've had the same problems using Mail with Gmail. Maybe consider trying a different email client? I downloaded Mozilla's Thunderbird and found it to be much speedier (and easier) to use.

3. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

It will be the email client that's slowing things down, not Apple mail, try another mail client, i use apple mail via my ISP based mail account and thats pretty damb quick, Got the AM to search for new mail every 5 mins :)

4. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I have Mail setup with 6 account from 4 different providers and have no speed issues on a two year old MacBook.

I don't have a GMail account though, probably best to try a different client — see if it is any different.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I agree. I find Gmail's IMAP service to be utter garbage compared to other IMAP services I've used (seems almost like a hack). Gmail's POP3 is a lot better if you don't need synching between machines.

6. Trip.Tucker Guest

Client? I think you mean service. The problem is GMail's IMAP service, not the Apple mail client.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

thunderbird is good to try. mail.app has problems with some imap servers.

8. Trip.Tucker Guest

Again, since you missed the point... Mail.app is not the issue, the IMAP service is where the problem lies.

9. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

To be perfectly honest I have had nothing but problems with gmail and Leopard mail.

I switched to .mac (just made more problems for mom but works great for me. Her problem has escalated to mega mega huge problem at apple :p)

10. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

My Gmail has been slow all day. It is not usually like this... who knows?

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i dont pretend to know whoes fault it is, i can offer suggestion to a realistic problem to OP

i guess its depends on what do you think is easier. to change a email client, or to change a email service.

OP can decide for himself.

12. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Perhaps Mail works fine for you, but on my computer there is vast difference in how it deals with Gmail's IMAP compared to Thunderbird. So at least for some users, Mail is the problem.

13. nafai23 thread starter macrumors regular

Are people actually suggesting I change my email address??

I do not think i would do that for a mail client...haha

come on......

I tried thunderbird...... "it just works"

Apple needs to work on mail quite a bit.

14. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

GMail works well with other email clients, so the fault must be with Mail.
    Mail works well with other email services, so the fault must be with GMail.

As usual there is probably an element of truth in both the above. There is no point arguing about it, what's important is that the OP gets their email working, which fortunately now, they have.