New System User & Virtual Box

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dc40, Mar 3, 2014.

1. dc40 macrumors newbie

So, I wanted to change the name of my home folder. I got a consultant on the phone from Apple who walked me through enabling the root user, making a new user, etc..

Before I did this all my file paths were

users/TCG/...

Now they are

users/dave/...

Almost everything was fine, but:

I had just installed Virtual Box with Windows 7. The windows 7 never saved on the new pathway. it still says it can't save or there's not link to the old pathway of users/TCG/...

I have tried repairing permissions in Disk Utility. This has not worked.

Luckily I have the option of uninstalling virtual box and starting the process over (reinstalling windows.) Unfortunately, this is not working. Even with the new install it tries to save on the old pathway.

First, I don't think I know where Virtual Box saves everything on my machine and there's gotta be some files not uninstalling. Second, I'm not even sure I deleted the windows install off my computer. It still exists at

Macintosh HD/users/dave/virtual box/windows

Can I fix the original and change the pathway?

All I'd really like is for virtual box to be working with windows. I can uninstall vitual box and start over if I can figure out how to do it. Or fix the permissions for Windows in virtual box, if that's the issue...

Any ideas?

2. dc40 thread starter macrumors newbie

The warning that Virtual Box gives me when I try to create a new virtual machine is

“Cannot create the machine folder DavePC Mac in the parent folder /Users/TCG/VirtualBox VMs.
    Please check that the parent really exists and that you have permissions to create the machine folder.”

Fix this somehow?

Or figure out how to completely uninstall, which I can't seem to do??

Thanks!

3. dc40 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just an update:

The answer was of course way simpler than I thought. In virtual box preferences there was an option to reset where it was saving. Why, after I uninstalled and reinstalled the program, it was still saving to my old user I have no idea. But problem solved.