New T-Mobile Dream - Android Device

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StoneColdSober, Aug 30, 2008.

1. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Photo courtesy of iMobile discussion via Engadget.

[​IMG]

Thanks but I think I will keep my iPhone. I am not impressed with the hardware. In fact, the sliding QWERTY keyboard seems to be obstructed on the right side by the bottom of the phone that does not slide.

(Mods, if my link to the pic is a no no, please remove)

2. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

wow. the design is very interesting. it's very different from anything ive seen in a smartphone. but then its google. like you said, use of the qwerty keyboard will be obstructed by that part of the frame but, its a start. i guess...

3. StoneColdSober thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess you could call it a start. This conforms to what has been submitted to the FCC. The odd thing is that this was designed by HTC. It's not like they are new to the smartphone game. I am surprised that they keyboard is the way it is. I don't see why they would just have the whole thing slide. It would give you a bigger keyboard and would avoid the frame interference issue.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

There's something kinda Fisher-Price about it.

5. StoneColdSober thread starter macrumors 6502

You know, you nailed it right on. It does look like something from Fisher-Price or Mattel.

It's like a See 'n' Say for cell phones. :D

6. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Wow that is ugly. That's why I'm not worried about Android threatening the iPhone's marketshare that much. It's not just about the software, it's the combination of software and hardware that really makes a device successful. I have no doubt Android will eventually be a good operating system, but the hardware it's mated to is more often than not going to be crap - like this one, for instance. It looks like a toy, and when it's all folded out it's going to be HUGE.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. That looks pretty ugly.

8. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

9. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

i donttt care

lol

my 3G hasn't had problems, im stickin' with the iPhone :D

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I owned the Cingular 8125 and that keyboard, the sliding QWERTY is great. However, on this new phone above that right side is going to be a huge problem. Looking at it, you already have to stretch your thumb over nearly 1" to access the right side of the keyboard. Phones like these aren't meant to be used one-handed. I can certainly carry on a text conversation one-handed on my iPhone, or any other phone for that matter.

Personally, I think they all need to move in the direction of the Samsung SGH-i900 (which BTW is a phone I'd drop my iPhone for).

11. StoneColdSober thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, the keyboard is going to be a nightmare with this "Dream" device.

As for the Samsung, the problem is the WinMo OS. Don't get me wrong, there are some pluses to the WinMo OS (full activesync functionality being the big one). However, Microsoft has introduced nothing innovative to the UI in 4+ years. They really need to do some work there. This is further complicated by the cellular providers trying to add their own innovations to the WinMo UI and I have yet to see one be successful. T-Mobile has done some interesting things but interesting does not mean good, functional or worthwhile.

My biggest gripe with the iPhone has been the failure of Apple to use the full functionality of activesync. I don't quite understand why they have crippled it like they have. Of course I guess Apple is doing that with many things (can we say bluetooth). But as a longtime WinMo user, I am overall much happier with the iPhone even with its shortcomings.

12. amro macrumors 6502

The one nice thing about the Android is the fact that it will run on several different types of phones. So, while this one may not be to someone's liking, there's bound to be someone else who will create a touchscreen phone like the iPhone. I never thought I'd hear myself say that I no longer want/need a keyboard or stylus. But, once an Android touch screen phone is out, it can then be compared to the iPhone in OS, apps and stability. As much as I love my iPhone, we need competition. Android has a chance.

13. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

you have a great point. android wont just work on one brand of phones, or one style of phone. it will be somewhat of a universal operating system for phones. we may see a flip phone design from samsung, or a smartphone design from htc, both running android. (theoretically speaking). this makes way for making the mobile phone even more social, with (dare i say it) zune like features. since they are running the same os, they can share files and what not easier. and that makes way for another realm of communication. like the zune platform tried.

i hope that made sense.:eek: