New tablet/netbook to take over the MacBook name?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by drakeshipway, Jun 9, 2009.

1. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

I just thought this was interesting, and it really does make sense.

youtube link

2. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

Yes

whether it's a netbook or a tablet who knows but something is coming.

Thought it would arrive during last years spotlight on notebooks but nope.

They pushed out all updates early this year find that kind of hmmm.

3. MrM macrumors 6502

...Maybe if they produce a netbook. Definitely not a tablet. Whenever you think of a notebook, netbook, MacBook, (keyword is anything ending in "Book") its a laptop that comes to mind. Something that opens up. Not just a screen.

4. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Yeah. There's no way that one, old, white MacBook represents an entire franchise. I expect to see 10" unibody MacBooks coming soon - prolly announced by Jobs. This will be the "netbook" or "tablet", etc everyone is expecting. Apple won't call it a netbook because it won't be limited to the 'net.
    Pricing will be from 599.00 to 999.00. It won't have an optical drive.
    Once you get above a certain size, you need the screen and keyboard seperate and you need the 'book' design so the screen is upight and the keyboard is flat. I don't want to type looking straight down at a table top or my lap - that would strain my neck and I don't want to hold a 1 pound device, etc...
    Tablet is out, notebook is in - it won't be called netbook because it'll be better than that. It will be Apple MacBook 10".

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Netbook or tablet... who knows?

But there's a reason why snow leopard has a smaller footprint - to work on something very small.

6. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

I was thinking the exact same thing this afternoon. I cant believe Apple would phase out the macbook, but the little plastic guys design is getting pretty long in the tooth. Apple have been pretty good at keeping the plastic macbooks internals up to date with their unibody counterpart though, even for a few days providing a 'better deal' than the aluminium 13" before it got its sticker bump. So its not got the same fate as the .... venerable eMac.

But where do they go with the Macbook? keep it plastic? that would seem to jarr with their current design aesthetic of "glass and aluminium" and all those eco-warriors on apples back. a macbook suggests a folding screen, so i doubt this particular product would become a tablet. So a netbook? Perhaps, but if they were heading that way, wouldnt they want to ....

make it smaller?

make it more svelte (thinner)?

remove all that superfluous gubbins like DVD drives?

That sounds an awful lot like a Macbook Air to me. My humble opinion is that the Macbook and Macbook air might merge into a single product, branded simply as a "Macbook". The MBA can certainly lose an inch or two around the bezel, and the Macbook cant stay in its little plastic shell forever.

Sure the Macbooks future could be a tiny netbook and the Macbook air could stay as a full sized 13" flat laptop, but i think it would be much more elegant for these two products to meet at a middle ground.

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

"MacPad". You heard it here first. :D

8. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I was thinking this same thing. The product line seems diluted or something. The Macbook Pros seem fine with the 13, 15 and 17 inch options. But the Macbook and the Macbook Air seem out of place--both 13 inches.

Plus, why did they update the macbook before the others?

Something is up,

9. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

haha, or even macPADD!

*sigh* im a nerd

10. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

If it's a tablet and it's going to run snow leopard I hope it will be at least 12" :D

I always was under the assumption that anything cheap and small will run iPhone OS