New Tabs and Quick "Swapping"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mr. Glass, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Mr. Glass macrumors member

Hello Everyone,

I have just purchased the 11.6" MacBook Air and noticed the addition of the right click button at the bottom of the trackpad.

When I am in Firefox and am using an external mouse, I frequently use middle click to open a link in a new tab, followed by the use of an auxiliary button on the mouse, programmed with the keystroke "control tab" and another with "control shift tab" to switch back and forth quickly between multiple tabs.

My Questions: Is there any way to "remap" the right click key at the bottom of the MBA's trackpad and assign it to "middle click" when I am in Firefox, Safari, or Chrome (or just Firefox)? I am aware of "command + click" but am looking for something even faster.

Also, is there such thing as a trackpad gesture (or a way to program one) or any other quicker way of advancing forward though tabs besides the keystroke, "control tab"?

Thanks!

-Glass

2. nfable macrumors regular

nfable

Assuming the Air's trackpad is akin to all the others, a four finger swipe left/right brings up the same as command-tab, but you use the cursor to select the app to switch to rather than 'shuffling' thru using the tab key.

For the middle-click you seek, this program may do it:
    Better Touch Tool
    I came across that a few day ago looking for custom gestures, but haven't tried it.

nf

3. Mr. Glass thread starter macrumors member

I just installed and configured Better Touch Tool and it works beautifully. This is exactly what I am looking for.

Thank you!

-Glass

4. nfable macrumors regular

nfable

Awesome, glad it worked. Gonna give it a go myself then, I'd like to have something to quickly minimize windows.

cheers,
    nf