new Tattoo

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mgb315, Apr 13, 2007.

1. mgb315 macrumors newbie

My little sister just got her first tattoo. I was wondering if anyone could tell me its meaning.
    car 021.jpg

2. emdotdee macrumors regular

emdotdee

If no one here can help you then this guy can... http://www.hanzismatter.com/

I had a friend who had a kanji style or whatever tattoo of the word "tank" (it was his nickname) I sent a photo of it to this guy and he told me that the meaning of the tattoo was closer to a toilet tank than a military tank, hahahaha.

3. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

fat hip?

sorry, i doubt anyone who has their own tattoo finds the ubiquitous asian character tattoo anything but silly and even-so-far-as ridiculous and funny.

the reason? if you DONT SPEAK THE LANGUAGE, why have its alphabet on your body, FOR FREAKING EVER!?

so, the fact you need to ask means the tattoo wear-er doesnt even know, making this all the more tragic.

props for going color vs the traditional full black

ps: i crizzazy!

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

5. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I think it's the male symbol for virility. You sure they put that on your sister?

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

LOL, wouldn't that be a scream?:D

7. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Agreed! I would never tattoo anything in a different language that I didn't understand (Not that I'd probably ever get at tattoo)

8. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

LOL - wow, if that's what it had meant, I might've died. Too funny.

9. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i wanna see a japanese person with an English letter tattooed on their hips :p

10. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

You really have to be pretty crazy to have something permanently imprinted on your skin without actually knowing what it means. :eek:

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

indeed.

i have a buddhist mantra tattooed on my arm in tibetan, and i researched the actual writing and everything for a good long while before i got it to make sure it was correct.

12. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

... it happens ... not a letter, but a word which is a more accurate equivalence of a chinese character (kanji) anyway.

AFAIK the kanji means beautiful or excellent. In Japanese it's 'ka'. Chinese characters are made up of several semantic units: this one is 'person' (the long stick to the left), and then the two others are 'earth'.

I once wanted a Montezuma tattoo. I'm so glad I outgrew that stage in my life without a physical reminder!

13. ~L~ macrumors member

hmm..I agree with mkrishnan's definition, but "jia" by itself seems a little ambiguous to me, it's one of those words that's usually paired with another in order for it to make sense in a sentence or whatnot.

14. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Nevermind the tattoo. She needs to have that mole looked at.

15. Turkish macrumors 6502

16. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

The reason you don't see English letters on Japanese or whatever ethnic group you have is because of calligraphy. Asian based languages have their beautiful form of writing, English- not so much.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, I'm not so sure about that. English writing is used stylistically on product advertisements, by musicians, in pop art, etc, throughout Asia. I'm not sure about tattoos... but then I don't think I know that many Japanese or Chinese that have single Chinese characters tattooed on themselves. It seems to be a purely American hobby. :D

But then, more importantly, holy thread revival, batman. Why is this thread still going on?

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm guessing based on where it is and the fact that it is some girl that she thinks it means beautiful.
    I'm also guessing she won't tell the OP so he came here. :) I don't find tattoos stupid, but I can't find one that is so amazing that I'd have to have it. I do believe eventually I'll have something in the realm of a certain number that has great significance in my life on a part of my body that can be covered without having to wear something special...aka my hip or something. But then again I wonder why I need it. Who will see it other than the one person I am with atm.

19. amantedemúsica macrumors newbie

I would laugh if that happened.:D

20. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

It is two surfers riding the same wave.:)

21. alFR macrumors 68020

"Stupid westerner cannot read kanji" :)

22. bartelby macrumors Core

More stupid than a narrow mind?

23. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Personally, I like the explanation as to why. :rolleyes:

Hey, bartelby, you'd almost think I was following you around the forum backing you up. This is fun. :)

24. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I wouldn't get a tattoo and really don't understand why people want to put them all over their bodies. Each to their own I suppose. Personally I think most people get a tattoo for the sake of 'getting one' which is quite stupid in my books

25. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

while i only half agree with you, in this case I think it applies. This was for the sake of "getting one" as the owner of the tattoo, afaik, doesnt even knows its meaning.

but to say all tattoos are stupid, is a little whack.

though, id argue, most ARE stupid.

even the dumbest tattoo CAN have the greatest meaning to the owner. Its the ones that dont, that deserve laughter and a hardy pointed finger.