New TB MBP & external display issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbrown, Dec 11, 2016.

1. jbrown, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016

jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Hi All

I have the New TB MBP and I'm trying to resolve an issue trying to run an external monitor.

I have a Dell S2715h - with HDMI input and an HDMI-to-Thunderbolt 2 cable, and an older Apple Cinema Display ( silver body ) with an Thunderbolt 2 adaptor.

Both run perfectly on my old 2015 MBP.

But they don't work on the new MBP.

I'm using an Apple Thunderbolt 2 - to Thunderbolt 3 adaptor to connect them to the new MBP

Any suggestions gratefully received. :)

2. chabig macrumors 68040

I'm confused. You say the display has an HDMI output, but HDMI is a display input. If you want to connect your new MacBook Pro to an HDMI display, you need a USB-C to HDMI adapter, like Apple's, and an HDMI cable. That's all:

http://www.apple.com/us_epp_148999/...bb770ab187e9898f3c0376b954d9b6dfb0bb12e60a494

To connect the Apple Thunderbolt display, you need a USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter, which Apple also sells:

http://www.apple.com/us_epp_148999/...bb770ab187e9898f3c0376b954d9b6dfb0bb12e60a494

3. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

My mistake I should have said HDMI input ( now corrected ).

As I understand you should be able to connect HDMI to Thunderbolt

4. chabig macrumors 68040

Your new MacBook Pro has Type-C ports. With Apple's adapter (linked above) you can connect an HDMI cable to the Dell display.

To connect your Apple Thunderbolt Display, you plug Apple's adapter (linked above) into a different Type-C port and connect the adapter to the display with a Thunderbolt cable.

5. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Appreciate your help - my cdmi cable is HDMI>Thunderbolt 2. I'm plugging this into an Apple Thunderbolt 2>Thunderbolt 3 adapter, then into my MBP

6. chabig, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016

chabig macrumors 68040

I'm still confused. The signals go from the computer to the display. Can we speak in that direction? It should look like this:

MacBook Pro > Apple USB-C to HDMI Adapter > HDMI cable > Dell display

I think you're using the wrong adapters. Thunderbolt doesn't even enter this picture because the display isn't a Thunderbolt Display, and Apple's Type-C to Thunderbolt adapter doesn't pass mini-DisplayPort signals.

If you're doing this:

MacBook Pro > Type-C to Thunderbolt 2 adapter > Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable > Dell display

It won't work.

7. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

It is this:

MacBook Pro > Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter > Thunderbolt 2-HDMI cable > Dell display

8. chabig macrumors 68040

That won't work. The USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter doesn't pass Mini DisplayPort signals.

9. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

OK thanks.

It would have been nice if the man at the apple store had known that!!! And the technicians on the Apple help line!

So would a HDMI-to-USBC cable work?

And how can I connect the older Cinema display, who's connector is Thunderbolt 2?

Thanks again

10. chabig macrumors 68040

I don't think USB-C to HDMI cables exist.

If your Apple display is Thunderbolt, you need the USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter.

But it sounds like your display isn't Thunderbolt. It is Mini DisplayPort, so you need a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter. Apple doesn't sell one. You could try something like this, though: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZU1TXHA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_31Diwb2JB0CDG