New TB to HDMI adapter...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dilgit, Aug 13, 2011.

1. dilgit macrumors regular

Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm looking for a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter for my new MBA 2011. The adapter should be able to transfer sound as well as video. I know that older versions of that adapter DO NOT transfer sound.

2. BigSaintDogs macrumors member

I have a mini display to hdmi cable that I got at Best Buy that works just fine for audi/video. It is 10 feet long and I use it on the road allot for the hotel.

3. steve dave macrumors 6502a

4. afbuckeye macrumors member

Get the one from monoprice. It's cheaper and works perfect (at least for me) and audio works as well!

http://tiny.cc/j8dls

5. qwerf123 macrumors regular

I got a cheap Mini displayport to HDMI cable from eBay and it does transfer sound.

If you look at the eBay description of some listing, many of them state it does transfer audio.

6. urkel macrumors 68030

Stupid question but with the display port being renamed then what's the correct terminology when it comes to talking about using a Thunderbolt port for monitors. Do you connect video via a "Thunderbolt video cable" or a "DisplayPort connector"?

7. KPOM macrumors G5

The adapter in question is a Mini DisplayPort connector since it will work with either a Thunderbolt port or a mDP port. A true "Thunderbolt" device will only work with a Thunderbolt port.

8. dilgit thread starter macrumors regular

These adapters work great with the MBA/MBP 2010. But with the new MBA 2011? NO SOUND!!! Just video. I have the newest MBA, just released 2011 version.

9. steve dave macrumors 6502a

This isn't true. Did you change your sound output settings after you plugged it in? Other than that there is something defective with either your laptop or your particular dongle. They absolutely do work with current models.

10. dread macrumors 6502a

11. macneubie macrumors regular

saw somewhere mentioned about resetting the PRAM/SMC would do the trick on Lion and pipe audio thru the HDMI.

12. qwerf123 macrumors regular

13. dilgit thread starter macrumors regular

14. Duke15 macrumors 6502

Duke15

The apple store carries a thunderbolt to hdmi cable actually, just have to ask an employee for it

15. jsolares macrumors 6502a

See if you can change the output to HDMI

16. dilgit thread starter macrumors regular

I know but this adapter will NOT transfer sound on MBA/MBP 2011 laptops. Just video.

----------

Thanks! Anyone has tried this on a new MBA 2011?

17. jsolares macrumors 6502a

Just did, using the same adaptor that works with my iMac, got it from amazon.
    After plugging it in for the first time (just now) i had to go into sound preferences and change the output from built-in speakers to HDMI

18. steve dave macrumors 6502a

stop saying this... this is absolutely false. You need to do research on fixing your specific problem.

19. Duke15 macrumors 6502

Duke15

Exactly and its not an adapter, the one end of the cord it thunderbolt and the other end is HDMI no need for any adapters its one cord that does the entire job