New TBD or not?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nathanlloyd, Oct 26, 2011.

1. nathanlloyd macrumors member

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of maybe getting a TBD to work with my MBP.
    A few questions:

1, Are there any cheaper alternatives that work well with macs?
    2, Can the screen of my MBP be closed without it going asleep?

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

You can get a pretty decent 24 inch 1920 x 1080 monitor for $150 and up range.

You can use an mbp in clamshell mode with any usual external monitor.

If you have cash in your pocket that's burning a hole in it nothing wrong with TBD ... there is actually a lot right with it ... but I have a couple of ( comparatively speaking ) low budget acers at home/work that do just fine.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Just about any monitor will work with your computer, although most nice 27" displays like the apple display are around the same price range.

4. nathanlloyd thread starter macrumors member

Cool thanks John.

I'm guessing 'normal' monitors don't connect using Mini-display. If I get some kind of converter will the quality deteriorate?

----------

I've just realised there's little point in me getting a TBD if I have a MBP from last year with no Thunderbolt port. D'oh!

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Oops. You can still get the old cinema display online some places, but there are plenty of others that will work just as well. Adapters are fine, I use a mDP to DVI adapter and get perfectly good video quality.

6. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

The thunderbolt connection on the newer machines ( like my 2011 mba ) supports all the typical kind of external monitor connections.

I use a mini display to VGA adapter and it works just fine driving a 1920 x 1080 external unit. I cannot see any problem with it like that.

There are other options ( other connectors ) like mini display to HDMI and mini display to DVI but ( well as long as the external monitor has VGA input ) from what I can tell VGA works pretty good universally. At some high resolution maybe it fails to perform ok but I don't know where that is.

On your machine a mini display to VGA connector ( or whatever combo works best for you ) along with a 24 inch under 200 dollar monitor might be a good interim option.