New TC or Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PKPUNCH, Jun 25, 2013.

?

TC or extreme?

1. TC

16 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. Extreme

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  1. PKPUNCH macrumors newbie

So I am on the fence, a new extreme? I can just add an external HD and call it a day or have a TC with built in HD? What are the pluses and minuses of both? What would you choose?

2. johnrtaylor macrumors newbie

Time Capsule if you are using it for Time Machine, Apple do not support Time Machine on an external USB drive connected to an Airport Extreme.

3. opinio macrumors 65816

Apple does support time machine on the new airport extremes. See the manual.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/airport_extreme_80211ac_setup.pdf

P 13

But having said that, get the time capsule. I bought a 2tb time capsule and put a 4tb seagate barracuda in it. Very happy.

4. johnrtaylor macrumors newbie

Apologies, I stand corrected.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

For the price difference ($100-$200) you're getting a pretty reasonable proce on a 2TB/3TB disk, as compares to buying a USB drive. plus it's a cleaner install without the external disk. So if you have Macs I think the TC is the way to go.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally if you're looking to get a drive and the router, I'd get the TC as others stated its cleaner and you have to deal with less cables. Its a plug and play solution

7. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Love the time capsule but I wish Apple would provide a way to file share via their iOS devices. I don't always carry my macbook pro to use back to my mac. I decided to go with the WD MyBook Live NAS. Supports time machine and remote access, as well as iOS apps.

8. mwhities macrumors 6502a

Most likely the TC for myself. I'm trading my 4th Gen AE to my brother for his 16G iPad mini (I've done a LOT of free work for him and gave my many-a-parts, don't say I'm ripping him off. :p) and I plan to move my 2TB TC to the modem and use it. Once I can get the $$ up, I'm planning on buying the 2TB and then add a 4TB to it. The 2TB will go into my MacPro.

9. PKPUNCH thread starter macrumors newbie

I like that idea... was the new TC easily upgradeable? I've seen the ifixit guide but havent heard of people upgrading the tc hard drive yet.

----------

would ios7 airdrop fix this?

10. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Yeah, they must have recently changed their stance on it with this latest release. Kudos to Apple.

11. opinio, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

opinio macrumors 65816

It is a fairly delicate operation to do the HDD change over. I have a couple tips.

1. Find a very thin plastic, but stiff, spudger to get the base of. Two or more would help. The black base is a soft plastic and is marked easy.
    2. You need a torx kit. 8 from memory.
    3. Connectors are very delicate. I used long tweezers as I have used on minis and MacBooks in the past.
    4. I left the sata cable attached to the logic board and only levered it off the HDD.
    5. HDD is a snug fit. I removed it by holding the device end gently letting the HDD drop out the bottom, being super careful it does not grab wiring.
    5. The HDD is only held in with rubber. You may need to reposition the rubber up inside the unit with say a driver before you fit the drive back in. It is very snug.
    6. Upon rebooting the TC, you rebuild the HDD disk image through the airport app disk tab by choosing erase. You can rename it then.

Also, see ifixit for basic instructions.

See this thread if you want more details:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1600698

12. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I am also thinking of upgrading my AEBS 5th gen to either the new AEBS or TC. I hardly ever need to use Time Machine so I'm not sure which one to get.

Can you mount the internal hard drive on the TC as an AirDisk?