New TC or not...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MrMister111, Jul 5, 2015.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

Currently have a 3rd Gen time capsule that I bridge to my Sky router. It's old now and although I'm not 100% sure it's the TC, I'm getting drop outs of connection, I'm wondering wether to get a new TC as this is getting old and probably EOL anyway.

I know the new one has better WiFi, range, faster etc but is it worth it now I have iCloud, iCloud photo, an online backup service?

The things, backup wise, important to me are photos, iTunes, and both seem to be covered by iCloud and online backup. I also have a NAS that I haven't used for a while that I could use as some backup (can you plug a NAS into a TC?)

So I'm wondering wether to get rid of the TC and not buy a new one (how long in general do they last?).....

Extra info I have an iMac, iPhones, iPads, Apple TVs...

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would go for a new Extreme and a USB drive for Time Machine attached to the USB port. There is no set time line on when AirPorts die and I have a number of Extremes and Time Capsules from 2007 and 2008 still running great!

3. MrMister111, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015

MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

I not 100% sure it's the TC, but I've read that after a while it can cause drop outs due to age and heating issues over time.

I could use a USB3 HDD connected direct to my iMac, but then do I need an airport extreme? Could I not just use the Sky router (although the WiFi is slow), could I not just buy any router? Or is the extreme a recommended (abliet standard Apple expensive!) router?

Does the extreme allow more than 30 timed access clients/30devices? That's what I'm struggling with on my Sky router.

Also I know that TC are not the best 2nd hand purchase, but are the newer extreme (tower type) ok to buy 2nd hand?

Thanks

4. tibas92013, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015

tibas92013 macrumors 6502

Maybe your old Time Capsule(TC) needs ReConfigeration???

Last April I bought from the Apple On-line Store a Refurbished 5th Gen. 2TB TC for $199 plus Sales Tax. It worked right-out-of-the-box and to date is working A-OK without any Reconfigeration.

Also, the AppleCare(AC) on my New Mac Mini(MM) also covers my Refurbished TC until June, 2018 which means I can obtain Apple's assistance on my TC/MM via phone or in-person until the aforementioned date! "Pease-of-mind" for those few dollars that I paid for AC.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

With the new AirPort Extreme, you can use them as a Time Capsule with a USB drive attached. They now have native Time Machine support. You can also get the AirPort Extreme as a refurbished item from Apple for $129. They look and function just as new and the only difference you will notice is the box. I used twelve refurbished AirPorts at school and not one has had an issue. When you say "30 times access" do you mean 30 clients?

6. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes meant more than 30 devices for timed access in WiFi settings.

Ah so you can add a USB directly to a extreme now and use it as a TC, that's good now.

Forgot about refurb, will keep an eye out here in UK.

Not sure what you mean by "reconfigure" the TC sorry

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

1. To my knowledge, there is no limit on Timed Access Control. You cannot have more than 50 clients wirelessly connected to a single AirPort however.

2. Yes. The tower style Extreme has full Time Machine support natively.

3. The price is $129 in the US store. The UK store may have a similar option.

4. You can try completely resetting the Time Capsule and starting fresh and reconfiguring it.