New Tech21 Trio?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Machinegun, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Machinegun macrumors newbie

I was perusing the Apple online store when I came upon the Tech21 Trio. It looked like a Speck Candyshell with impact technology, and I've always been a huge Candyshell fan. I tried to search for pictures or reviews of the case, and I could not find any! The case wasn't even on Tech21's website. Well I ordered it anyway and I was appalled.

The rubber lip around the screen did not fit tightly therefore showing large areas of metal banding (mainly around the corners). My old Candyshell case (which I got on sale at BestBuy for $5 and is a defect) has a much tighter fit but shows minor gaps (compared to the Trio) around the corners. Yes a defective $5 product from Speck had a better fit than a non-defective $34.95 product from Tech21.

Has anyone else bought this case, and have the same problems? I'll post some pictures once I find a decent camera to take pictures with.

2. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

That's a shame. It's a good looking case and looked like a good option for CandyShell lovers.

3. GilesT21 macrumors newbie

Hi Machinegun
    I'm Giles, from Tech21, and I'm very concerned about what you are reporting and would like to please see your pictures, and of course offer you a replacement. Its vital for us to make sure all of our products are perfect all of the time, and I'd like to understand the issue you have found. If its at all possible, could you please contact me directly and send me images of what you are reporting. I'd also like your address if thats ok, so I can compensate you for your efforts.

The Impact Trio is our latest product, and you must have been one of the first people to purchase it, as it has only very recently gone on sale at the Apple Store. All our products are custom designed to fit the product, in this case the iPhone 5, perfectly, so I'm really surprised to hear what you have experienced, so as you can understand I'd like to get in touch with you straight away.

Could you please contact me giles.tongue at tech21.uk.com and I'll be in touch immediately after receiving your correspondence.

Many thanks
    Giles

4. kgenova macrumors 6502a

kgenova

Wow, surprised to hear that the Tech21 Trio was disappointing. I just got a Tech21 Impact Mesh for my iPhone 5 today and I could not be more impressed. I thought I liked my Candyshell Grip a lot, but when I put the Impact Mesh on my phone I was immediately taken with the quality of the product. It feels exceedingly protective, and it fits like a glove. It has a bit more 'lay on the table' lip than the Candyshell Grip and about the same amount as the original Candyshell and is slightly less thick overall (I think because the back is a little thinner). It is a bit wider and a tiny, tiny bit longer, but otherwise the dimensions are quite similar. The hard button press issues that plague some TPU cases are not present either--the buttons have a very good tactile response. Overall, the Impact Mesh is a great case. Perhaps you just got a defective Trio case?

5. saxman211 macrumors regular

saxman211

I just bought a tech21 trio case after ordering an iPhone a few days ago and now I'm a little worried. After going to the tech21 website, I also found that the product wasn't on their website and sent them an email inquiring about the trio case. Because I saw that it was more expensive than the other cases, I asked them if it was their most protective case. The response I received was that the case was an exclusive apple case. When I responded, asking again if the case was their most protective, they never got back to me. I guess I'll take my case back if it doesn't fit. For $35, it should definitely fit the phone well. I also bought an impactology shield. Hopefully it will fill in the space that the trio case leaves.

6. Machinegun, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

Machinegun thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the late reply guys. I forgot to subscribe to the thread. But here are the pictures that I emailed to Tech21. They basically told me that all the cases were made that way so don't bother with the Trio if you're looking for a viable Candyshell replacement. Try the Mesh or something else by them, but this is an unflattering copy of the Candyshell.

And the only other camera I had on hand was a PS Vita so the pictures are kind of terrible.

[​IMG]

This video should show it a little better.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pofpwu0fulzmys8/2013-09-18-102413.mp4

This is the promotional image on the Apple Store, and I've circled the gaps. You can see that the protective lip really isn't there.
    [​IMG]

@Giles I've emailed Tech21, and this was your company's response:

The only thing Tech21 is really concerned about is it's D30 technology, and it's a great thing. But that shouldn't be the ONLY concern. I wanted to love the case. It felt great when held (smoother than the Candyshell because the hard plastic edges aren't so sharp), but the "low bezel" is an area of concern for me. I've never had a problem with removing my phone from a Candyshell. I've never had a problem using gestures with a Candyshell either (and I'm a hardcore Zephyr user). If you're trying to copy the Candyshell then look at what made the Candyshell great and make it better. Man, if the case was an actual Candyshell replica with d30 inside then that would have been perfect.

7. kgenova macrumors 6502a

kgenova

Sorry! I see you have a white iPhone like I do--you should consider the blue Impact Mesh-- it looks really great on a white iPhone, and as I said before, it is a really nice case.

8. GilesT21 macrumors newbie

Hi Machinegun - thanks for taking the time to post the images. I've been speaking to our design team, who take a lot of time developing our products with a number of criteria in mind. We need our products to offer advanced impact protection, which the Trio does with a 3 layer approach to impact protection, a hard outer shell that spreads out the impact, a softer inside to slow down and absorb impact protection, and the D3O impact material, whose molecules lock together upon impact absorbing the impact force. With this, we are also focused on keeping the design slim which we can do due to the use of scientifically proven impact material, and to ensure our products are user friendly.

Whilst designing the case, the final focus on user friendly design, meant that we want to the case to be a tight fit around the product, and also relatively easy to take on and off if required, reducing the possibility for the product to be damaged by the case. There is still a small lip to the front face, although the case principally is protecting from impacts such as those that occur when a phone is dropped, to sides and back.

Design is key to what we do, and I'd like to reassure you that the Trio has been manufactured how we intended it to be and there are no faults in what you are reporting.

I hope this has gone some way to explaining our design rationale.

All the best.

9. Machinegun, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

Machinegun thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay. I just returned it.

To the Macrumors forum goers, if you don't take your phone out of its case regularly (I remove my phone maybe once a week or less) and worry about dust and grime then please don't bother with the Trio. Go with the Mesh or Candyshell or Otterbox (Gasp! I know, but the Commuter isn't so bad...minus that stupid hole in the back of the case).

@kgenova I should have went with the Mesh. There were a lot of great reviews. I wanted to get the clear one because it would have shown off the iPhone so beautifully, but like any clear rubber case, there's a huge yellowing problem.

Oh and speaking of Candyshell and Commuter. Bestbuy is running a sale on both for $29.99 each. I don't work for best buy or have anything to do with them.

10. ricktat macrumors 65816

11. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

Quite nice that a company will go out of their way to help a customer. My problem is not the trio but the Tech21 for iPhone 5 that I had for less than a year and yet is is showing signs of wear. The clear plastic looks like its been on my iPhone 5 for years. Clear plastic is now black. As much as I tried to clean it it's still looking dirty. There are black smudges on the clear
    Plastic that are now permanent. I like it at lot but not so much to buy another one as I'm afraid that the plastic that was used is inferior and might inhibit the same problem with the Tech21 for iPhone 5.

Thanks.