'New Telephone #' iPhone 6+ purchase - what are my options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ducayne, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Ducayne macrumors newbie

Jun 7, 2010
    Just happened to snag an in-store pick-up for an AT&T iPhone 6+ but have a few questions before I head to the store to pick-up.

I'm currently out of contract on a Small business account unlocked AT&T iPhone 5.

I tried to port my number from this account to a NEW AT&T personal account through Apple.

I kept getting this error:
    "The service area of the physical address entered does not match the phone number that you’ve asked to transfer. Please verify your phone number or enter the address where you plan to use your iPhone most often."

Number is from PA & my new address is NYC.

I decided to opt to click 'Give me a new number' just so I could get my order in.

What are my options now?

Do I pick up my phone and then call AT&T and ask them to port the number?

Can I tell Apple I just want to pay for the phone outright and not be on contract when I pick-up? If so, can I use the AT&T phone on T-Mobile or is it locked? (this is ultimately what I want, I hope it can happen!!)

Any insight would be super helpful.

2. Ducayne thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 7, 2010
    Hate to bump but would love some feedback on how I can be most successful in not messing up my pick-up order.

3. mediaprodguy macrumors member

Sep 25, 2006
    AT&T won't let me easily port the 6+ to my current number. I switched the sim cards and got customer care with AT&T to sort that out. AT&T won't just let me cancel the new line of service (that is within the term to cancel with no obligation) and informs me that they can only cancel my primary number or I must return the 6+ to clear out that line of service. So I thought I would outsmart them again and return the 6+ and have apple resell it to me under my primary number. Apparently apples system won't allow that to happen. My new options are 1) pay the early termination fee with the new line or 2) buy a new 6+ on the primary line and return the 6+ on the second line. How silly is this? Ohhh and AT&T doesn't understand why I just don't cancel my primary line that doesn't carry a new contract. Say what?

I did the math - actually, the early termination fee plus the new discount phone comes cheaper than tmobile sells an unlocked phone.....

The question remains, will AT&T unlock the new phone once i pay the termination fee?

Hope this is helpful ( a cut and paste from my Facebook i wrote earlier)
  4. Ducayne thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 7, 2010
    Oof-- yeah.

AT&T just told me that I couldn't transfer my AT&T number from a business account to a personal account?

I guess I'll try my luck at the Apple Store and see what they can do.