"New Text" alert goes off twice when I get a text

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by LoneWolf121188, Feb 19, 2009.

1. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

Whenever I get a text, my iPhone (3G) will do the normal "New Text" alert, and the screen will come on and display the text. However, about 3-5 minutes later, it'll do the alert noise/vibration again, but the screen won't come on or anything. This happens whether or not I actually read the text or reply to it or anything else. Any ideas as to what's going on?

2. iFerd macrumors 6502a

This is a feature that Apple added with one of the last firmware updates because users were complaining that one alert isn't enough. You seem not to think it is a "feature," but that's what the iPhone does if you don't open a text message after the first alert. In my experience, later notices don't occur if you have opened the message.

3. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Just check your messages. All it takes is a slide to unlock..

4. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I guess I should have emphasized this bit. ;)

Just to be clear: even if I check the message and reply to it, it'll still go off twice.

5. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Same thing happens to me! I have no idea why. I have read the message and it still goes off. Its pretty weird.

6. peteerm macrumors newbie

As far as I know it just helps to delete the whole conversation....

7. iFerd macrumors 6502a

That's a new one to me. I have only experienced repeat notices for messages I haven't opened.