Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
UltraEdit now available for the Mac, I've been a long time user of this text editor on windows for years and I've been lucky enough to do some beta testing with the product.

I'm not connected with the author in any way but if someone needs/wants a new text editor, I highly recommend it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
$80! Ouch! That's half the price of MS Office! To some, I'm sure it's worth it, but I'll stick with TextEdit for now.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
$80! Ouch! That's half the price of MS Office! To some, I'm sure it's worth it, but I'll stick with TextEdit for now.

BBEDIT - 129 (I think its on sale for the holidays)
textmate - 70 bucks

Ultraedit is available for 59 bucks right now (regularly 69), not sure where 80 dollars came from.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ultraedit is available for 59 bucks right now (regularly 69), not sure where 80 dollars came from.
Clicking the link you provided says the Introductory Price for new users is $79.95
Yep, that's where it comes from:
ScreenCap 8.PNG

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Yep, that's where it comes from:
wow that's odd. This link gives you the price I mentioned
uedit.png

TextEdit - Free
Yes and you get what you pay for. Ultraedit, BBEdit, TextMate offer more functionality. If a person doesn't need that functionality, then it makes little sense for a purchase, but given the popularity of bbedit, and textmate, I suspect people are not satisified with textedit.

Last edited:

gks

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
TextEdit - Free

If you do any serious programming whether it be C/C++/ObjC or even html/css/js then TextEdit will fall flat on it's face in about 30 seconds.

If all you're doing is editing sentences and writing papers for school, TextEdit may work fine... but that's about where it ends. If you're using TextEdit for major programming work you are clearly a masochist.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... If a person doesn't need that functionality, then it makes little sense for a purchase, but given the popularity of bbedit, and textmate, I suspect people are not satisified with textedit.
And other people are. So what? Folks forgot to mention BBEdit's little brother, TextWrangler. There are other free editors that have more features and cost a lot less than UltraEdit. However, the regular price of UltraEdit for Windows is $10 less than the regular price of UltraEdit for Mac.

As I said, there are other text editors. How about Aquamacs and the other ports of Emacs available on the Mac? MacVim is still available. All free. That's $59.95 less than the introductory price of UltraEdit.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
And other people are. So what? Folks forgot to mention BBEdit's little brother, TextWrangler. There are other free editors that have more features and cost a lot less than UltraEdit. However, the regular price of UltraEdit for Windows is $10 less than the regular price of UltraEdit for Mac.

As I said, there are other text editors. How about Aquamacs and the other ports of Emacs available on the Mac? MacVim is still available. All free. That's $59.95 less than the introductory price of UltraEdit.

Wow, people are getting very hostile over this, wow. I just mentioned a great app on windows is now available for osx, and people get all upset about the price and the idea of another text editor.

I thought some people would be interested in this, but it seems most are taking the price or the idea of another editor way too seriously.

Don't like it, don't use it. There's others options.

gks

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
Wow, people are getting very hostile over this, wow. I just mentioned a great app on windows is now available for osx, and people get all upset about the price and the idea of another text editor.

I thought some people would be interested in this, but it seems most are taking the price or the idea of another editor way too seriously.

Don't like it, don't use it. There's others options.

Text editors are pretty religious apps.... there's been a holy war between emacs and vim for decades (?)... it won't stop now.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Text editors are pretty religious apps.... there's been a holy war between emacs and vim for decades (?)... it won't stop now.

So it would seem. I had no idea people were that serious about it. I what works best, on the pc and for me that's Ultraedit.

On OSX side, I found BBEdit is too bloated for my needs and textmate hasn't been touched in 4 years. I thought others would welcome the addition of more apps. Oh well, live and learn.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So it would seem. I had no idea people were that serious about it. I what works best, on the pc and for me that's Ultraedit.
I'm not emotional about it, or any software. As I said, it may be worth it to some. My needs don't justify the price. I think it's good that you posted this, since I'm sure it will be exactly what someone is looking for. You might want to edit the thread title to add the app name to it, making it easier to fine. I can see new threads popping up in the future: "Has anyone tried UltraEdit?"

gks

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010

On OSX side, I found BBEdit is too bloated for my needs and textmate hasn't been touched in 4 years. I thought others would welcome the addition of more apps. Oh well, live and learn.

Think about how many text editors there are out there... there are so many different ideas for how to do things it just makes sense that there are so many editors. People are pretty serious about their editors sometimes because they have a lot of time invested in them.

emacs is nearly an operating system. You can customize nearly everything about it. It's not only a text editor but it's an email client too. It's pretty crazy what you can do with it. Think of the time you'd have invested in emacs if you were to use it for almost everything.

I like editors that are very scriptable. TextMate is nice but I've grown to like the idea of an editor that goes everywhere with me. So I'm learning to use vim more seriously. Since it can be scripted to do almost everything that TextMate can do it could in theory be updated to support any new features it comes out with too.

TextMate hasn't needed a big update in a long time. It's a good editor and with the bundles it can be expanded to do a lot more out of the box. I'm curious what big advances we'll see with 2.0 when that becomes available. Knowing Allan it should be very good. I think this time he's trying to really solve big issues prior to releasing the app. I feel like the app will be infinitely more expandable this time and getting that right is very difficult so that he won't be changing major backend stuff in the app because it won't allow him to do something really neat. Should be interesting to see.

I encourage people to try something other than what they're used to. It's nice to see how things can be done differently in other editors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.