Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
So I updated to the latest version of Ventura, and the next issue has arrived … *sigh*

Let's say I'm typing something in this forum, this post for example. So out of nowhere, some of what I typed will get replaced with something else I've typed. Usually it's something like the beginning of a paragraph I've typed in the texture here will get replaced by the beginning of another paragraph I've typed.

So my post would like a little bit like this:

So I updated to the latest version of Ventura, and the next issue has arrived … *sigh*

So I updated to the latest version of Ventura, this post for example. So out of nowhere, some of what I typed will get replaced with something else I've typed. Usually it's something like the beginning of a paragraph I've typed in the texture here will get replaced by the beginning of another paragraph I've typed.

What. the. hell. is. that. Apple sucks more and more. There is constantly something happening, constantly some bug you have to spend time on to fix, constantly you have to occupy yourself with some **** like that. No chance that you just work in peace.

Does anyone else have this glitch? I can't post here anymore without spending twice the time I'd actually need.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I'm using an OWC/MacSales dock with my M1 MacMini. The front USB-A port is not usable. If I plug anything in, the MacMini "blows up". It makes a weird sound, and crashes and shuts down. I've contacted OWC, and they said call Apple. They also recommended that I use their app. that totally disengages USB devices when not in use.

I do have a MacSales external HD, and two different headphone DAC/Amps in the chain. Also two Dell 27" monitors. But this horrible computer crash happened only while using one DAC/Amp plugged in. I have not used the front USB-A 2.0 port on the front of the OWC dock since the two crashes/shutdowns.

I have not called Apple yet, as I need to sort out what is plugged in where. My desk is tucked into two walls.

Reactions: Silly John Fatty

The_Auryn

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2020

Are you typing on a laptop with a trackpad? Sounds like some sort of spurious cut and paste. Have you tried booting in safe mode and see if the problem is still there?

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Are you typing on a laptop with a trackpad? Sounds like some sort of spurious cut and paste. Have you tried booting in safe mode and see if the problem is still there?

No, I'm on a Mac Mini (newest generation) and using the magic keyboard with touch ID (also latest gen). It's still happening, even though not as often. It basically just happened in another post I was writing a few minutes ago.

And yes, it's like some sort of automatic copy and paste you could say. It happens while I'm typing and it seems to be linked to the typing.

As I continue typing, it will undo the whole thing, and as I type even more, it will redo it again. It's very strange and I'm not sure if it's linked to my Mac or the MacRumors forum.

As I was typing this post right now it's been happening again, so I made a few screenshots and a video.

I haven't tried booting in safe mode, but I've restarted the Mac since then plenty of times. I will try booting in safe mode, though.

So for example this post here (three different paragraphs):

example 1.png

… has repeatedly and alternately turned into this:

example 2.png

example 3.png

And here's also a video of that happening:

The changes happen in the moment when I press a key on the keyboard.

Reactions: Populus

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
I'm not sure, but it hasn't in the past. I booted in secure mode now, so I'll see if it ever happens again.

Are you using any utilities such as TextExpander or Keyboard Maestro? You may have a shortcut or text abbreviation set up somewhere that triggers what you experience.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Same text entry issues with me on a Mac Studio Ultra running the last version of Monterrey 12.7.1... uniquely on this MacRumors forum and not elsewhere. Along with the issue described, input of text can significantly slow down, getting well behind what I have actually typed. "Post Reply" then "edit" and it often returns to normal for a while... but not every time.

If I'm typing "ahead" because text entry is so slow and realized or notice a typo and click to try to fix the typo, the text that has not yet caught up with what I've typed will continue typing from where the cursor was moved to fix the typo. In other words, instead of finishing the sentence(s) where it was, it jumps to what the cursor is now placed. So that makes the typo much worse by taking up to a sentence or two intended to be later in the post and moving it up into the typo area. What this requires is WAITING until the text on screen catches up to whatever I typed... then move the cursor... then fix the typo.

Select text I've typed will appear in odd places, such as overlapping the right margin column on the home page and/or in a subsequent post in a different thread... OUTSIDE of the text editing box and/or overlapping the border of the text editing box.

When it gets too difficult, I'll just type whatever I want to post in the TextEdit app and then copy & paste it into MacRumors. The Paste will go in quickly every time. In short, this option is giving up on typing & editing in the text box for a post and moving that out to TextEdit app.

It is inconsistent. For example, this entire post has seemed fine with none of the effects and it taking my text as fast as I'm typing it. Another post or even editing this one later may trigger the effects.

I think this is a MacRumors thing and not a macOS thing (this thread now has users with 3 different versions of macOS and 3 different Mac systems having the same problems). I've seen some references to this in at least one other thread too. All was fine up to about 6 or so weeks ago and then these issues began. No changes to hardware for me- same mix of keyboard, Mac and macOS were fine on MacRumors before and then suddenly this stuff began. I'm guessing there was some update/change to the MacRumors backend that is causing this to happen. OR, since it all seems to revolve around SPEED, maybe the server is overloaded at times?

Last edited:

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Same text entry issues with me on a Mac Studio Ultra running the last version of Monterrey 12.7.1... uniquely on this MacRumors forum and not elsewhere. Along with the issue described, input of text can significantly slow down, getting well behind what I have actually typed. "Post Reply" then "edit" and it often returns to normal for a while... but not every time.

If I'm typing "ahead" because text entry is so slow and realized or notice a typo and click to try to fix the typo, the text that has not yet caught up with what I've typed will continue typing from where the cursor was moved to fix the typo. In other words, instead of finishing the sentence(s) where it was, it jumps to what the cursor is now placed. So that makes the typo much worse by taking up to a sentence or two intended to be later in the post and moving it up into the typo area. What this requires is WAITING until the text on screen catches up to whatever I typed... then move the cursor... then fix the typo.

Select text I've typed will appear in odd places, such as overlapping the right margin column on the home page and/or in a subsequent post in a different thread... OUTSIDE of the text editing box and/or overlapping the border of the text editing box.

When it gets too difficult, I'll just type whatever I want to post in the TextEdit app and then copy & paste it into MacRumors. The Paste will go in quickly every time. In short, this option is giving up on typing & editing in the text box for a post and moving that out to TextEdit app.

It is inconsistent. For example, this entire post has seemed fine with none of the effects and it taking my text as fast as I'm typing it. Another post or even editing this one later may trigger the effects.

I think this is a MacRumors thing and not a macOS thing (this thread now has users with 3 different versions of macOS and 3 different Mac systems having the same problems). I've seen some references to this in at least one other thread too. All was fine up to about 6 or so weeks ago and then these issues began. No changes to hardware for me- same mix of keyboard, Mac and macOS were fine on MacRumors before and then suddenly this stuff began. I'm guessing there was some update/change to the MacRumors backend that is causing this to happen. OR, since it all seems to revolve around SPEED, maybe the server is overloaded at times?

Actually we’re just two to have this problem, but glad to hear I’m at least not the only one.

I don’t have the lagging though. That behaviour you described I know it from old iPhones and it was hell typing something when it behaved like that.

And by the way, I too think this is a Mac rumours thing because like you I don’t have this behaviour anywhere else.

What’s also possible is that it’s a mixed problem (MacOS + macrumors)

Maybe this should be moved to the feedback forum so the MR developers get hold of it.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
So after all suggestions, I saw it happening again sadly …

It makes it almost impossible for me to post something on MacRumors.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
No, I'm on a Mac Mini (newest generation) and using the magic keyboard with touch ID (also latest gen). It's still happening, even though not as often. It basically just happened in another post I was writing a few minutes ago.

And yes, it's like some sort of automatic copy and paste you could say. It happens while I'm typing and it seems to be linked to the typing.

As I continue typing, it will undo the whole thing, and as I type even more, it will redo it again. It's very strange and I'm not sure if it's linked to my Mac or the MacRumors forum.

As I was typing this post right now it's been happening again, so I made a few screenshots and a video.

I haven't tried booting in safe mode, but I've restarted the Mac since then plenty of times. I will try booting in safe mode, though.

So for example this post here (three different paragraphs):

View attachment 2313934

… has repeatedly and alternately turned into this:

View attachment 2313935
View attachment 2313936

And here's also a video of that happening:

View attachment 2313937

The changes happen in the moment when I press a key on the keyboard.
I get the same thing, specifically on this forum and nowhere else (as far as I've noticed). I've also had it happen on different Macs. Very sure it's something with this website and maybe in conjunction with Safari.

For what it's worth, I'm using the following extensions:
- 1Blocker
- 1Password for Safari
- Vinegar
- StopTheMadness
- Hush
- Mapper
- Save to Pocket

Reactions: Silly John Fatty

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I have had this problem for a while, too, and actually, not just on MR but also on another forum which also is using the Xenforo forum software so I'm suspecting that this has to do with Xenforo rather than MR or the other forum. I have not experienced it anywhere else, although there are other forums in which I participate and of course make posts.

I'm on a 16" M1 MacBook Pro and I have it on a stand so that it serves as a sort of "desktop replacement", so indeed have external monitor plus mouse and keyboard. I am using a Magic Mouse latest generation and a latest generation Magic Keyboard with numerical keypad and Touch ID (the latter being a feature I don't use).

I hadn't considered that maybe the problem is with the keyboard itself, although certainly that is possible. I'm a fast typist and I have the thing set accordingly. I tried adjusting the speed settings but that did not seem to make a difference so I went back to my familiar ones. I wish I could remember when this problem first emerged and I noticed it......

I do know that I replaced my previous keyboard a while back when it started exhibiting issues after I'd spilled something on it, and that is when I purchased this one I am currently using. I did experience the same typing situation on Monterey, too, and remember hoping that Ventura would resolve the problem, and alas, it did not.

So, who or what's to blame? This keyboard? Xenforo? I don't think it is MacRumors. Something somewhere is not working well and yes, it is annoying.....

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I get the same thing, specifically on this forum and nowhere else (as far as I've noticed). I've also had it happen on different Macs. Very sure it's something with this website and maybe in conjunction with Safari.

For what it's worth, I'm using the following extensions:
- 1Blocker
- 1Password for Safari
- Vinegar
- StopTheMadness
- Hush
- Mapper
- Save to Pocket

I'm using Hush too (and some of AdGuard's non-invasive extensions).

Would be interesting to know if everyone is using Hush too, maybe there's an interference between it, Safari and the forum software.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Let's say I'm typing something in this forum, this post for example. So out of nowhere, some of what I typed will get replaced with something else I've typed. Usually it's something like the beginning of a paragraph I've typed in the texture here will get replaced by the beginning of another paragraph I've typed.

So my post would like a little bit like this:

What. the. hell. is. that. Apple sucks more and more. There is constantly something happening, constantly some bug you have to spend time on to fix, constantly you have to occupy yourself with some **** like that. No chance that you just work in peace.

Does anyone else have this glitch? I can't post here anymore without spending twice the time I'd actually need.
I just want to say that I have been experiencing the same problem, and now that you mention it, I seem to be getting this only when posting to Macrumours. I experience it on my M1 MBA and 2017 5k iMac, if that helps.

Thing is, I find that if I click anywhere in the middle of the paragraph and type something, it will revert back to what I originally typed, so all is not lost.

I am not using hush either, but am using 1blocker.

Very weird.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I just want to say that I have been experiencing the same problem, and now that you mention it, I seem to be getting this only when posting to Macrumours. I experience it on my M1 MBA and 2017 5k iMac, if that helps.

Thing is, I find that if I click anywhere in the middle of the paragraph and type something, it will revert back to what I originally typed, so all is not lost.

I am not using hush either, but am using 1blocker.

Very weird.

Thanks for reporting. Same here, only on MacRumors.

I'll try clicking inside the paragraph when it happens, thanks for the hint! Sometimes it can be quite challenging posting on MacRumors with this issue.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
iPhone 15 Plus

Lately I have been having a weird hiccup occurring when I am leaving a comment.

I would write two sentences with a space inbetween. I hit post reply and when I refresh the page, the second sentence doesn’t appear. However, when I click edit, it shows both sentences and when I click save, it does finally show everything.

Other times I am in the middle of writing and suddenly half of my text just VANISHES and gets replaced by what has previously been written.

Ironically it just happened as I was writing this. See my screenshot? The red part appeared out of nowhere and as you can see, it’s actually part of my first sentence.

Attachments

• IMG_1735.jpeg
    IMG_1735.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: Weaselboy

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I have the problem too, but it's a Xenforo and Safari(?) thing - not just MacRumors. Only see it on my Mac - never iOS.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.